Algae in a tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed my filter tube is a little brownish and the algae thats in it, is really long.. and it looks like, you know how paper fire looks? Thats what it reminds me of. I know I need to clean it out, but im not sure ezakly how I should go about cleaning it, and with what (as not to hurt my fishies)

If you have something like a pipe cleaner or even one of those nifty little brushes you use to clean small glasses you can use that, as long as you havent had soap or anything liek that in it. I use a small pipe cleaner on mine, just brush and then rinse it out.

If I break apart the tube, do you think a strong rinse would work? I don't have any piper cleaners handy =o)

cleanin a tube...

Sometimes I find a small rag or paper towel/napkin and twist it while I feed it into the tube. If you don't twist it and doesn't feed in so easily. Obviously you need a rag or paper towel long enough for the tube you're cleaning... just keep twisting it as you feed it though and it should clean a lot of it out for you... hth

They sell nifty little brushes for this sort of thing. You can get them at the lfs, or online. you may be able to get them in the supermarket if you look around. They sell them for funky-shaped glasses or for cleaning coffee makers and such.

You could even try to bunch up a wad of tissue paper or a napkin, stuff it down one end and push it throug. That should do the trick as well.

I bought a baby toothbrush for this sort of thing. It's tiny enough to get into the little places. I bought it before I knew they made tools especially for cleaning these things. Plus, they're super cheap.

i find with a paper towel or whatever...if the tube is wet it gets stuck in there :( :( :( :(

I think it is a good idea to invest in the brushes, as over time the debris in the tubes will slow your filtration down somewhat. Warning- it is a really grody job!

I just let the junk stay in the tubes, seems like a great place for bacteria to collect due to the high flow. If I ever notice things slowing down, I would clean it out. Besides, once the whole tube is a solid wall of bacteria/algae, it look normal :)

Let me clarify - this is not a job I do with any regularity!! I wait until it is really bad before I tear everything down like that. I am lazy about that kind of chore.

I'm with tankgirl, hardly ever do it, but sometimes you have to. It's good to have the brushes when you need them.

Back
Top Bottom