algae in crayfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed my 5 gallon f/w tank with a blue crayfish was getting cloudy.

Water change and gravel vac 25% - still cloudy.

I did another and noticed the water is tinted green. I assume this is algae. Since it's a tank for a lone cray, I don't think a pleco is a good idea. Am i right? Should I just add a chemical of some sort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

PS. Beat them 9ers tonite!

Its probably an algae bloom but the algae is free floating in the water and not the kind that a pleco will be able to eat.

I would not add any chemicals as the crayfish could be sensitive to the chemical.

now what?

what do you suggest I do then?

my fellow teacher (bio)/ partner-in-aquaria suggested Phos-X

Ed

Hi Ramrebel,

Algae blooms or green water is usually caused by phosphate and/or high nitrate levels in your tank, or the tank is too brightly lit or during the day sunlight is hitting the tank directly.

You have already taken the fist non-chemical treatment step by doing a water change. Next cover the tank to keep light out for 48 to 72 hours, this should kill the existing bloom.

The important thing to remember while doing this is that algae consumes oxygen in the dark and a severe algae bloom can reduce oxygen to critically low levels, so while treating the tank, increase oxygenation and water circulation until you have the problem solved.

Ways to prevent blooms are reduce the amount of light the tank is getting and do frequent water changes to keep the nitrate levels down.

:turn-l:

Back
Top Bottom