Algae Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been battling this algae for quite some time. It started when a family member was leaving the light on all night plus it's in front of a window. So I fixed the light schedule to be on 8 hours or less and put a black background on the back. The algae went away slightly but I'm still seeing a lot. I've tried spot treating with peroxide but it didn't do much. I've also been removing plant leaves that have algae but now my jungle vals are so pitiful and small and still have algae growing on them ? I also have quite a bit of green spot algae or something similar all over the gravel. I want to replace with new gravel or sand after I fix this issue. Its a 55 gallon tank with 2 angels, 3 mollies, 1 betta, a pleco, and some pond snails. It has just a basic stock light fixture which I haven't changed the bulb in a while so maybe that is causing some issues? I've been changing water 50% twice a week with slim to no results. Help please! 20180116_224655.jpg 20180116_224722.jpg

I figured that's what it was. Thank you! Now what about the green algae on the gravel? I just read on that site you can dip things in oxiclean?! That's a new one for me! Lol do you think oxiclean would get rid of the algae on the gravel and the large rocks in the tank? I've scrubbed them like crazy and it barely comes off. I plan on getting new substrate soon but I would like to save the gravel for use in another tank if possible but I gotta get rid of the awful algae on it first! ?

Alright I'll soak a little gravel in peroxide and see how it goes! And I will continue the peroxide treatment on the plants. Fingers crossed I can get it all gone! Thank you for the advice and links! ☺

I don’t know if this will help as it states IMG_3091.jpgit’s not safe for shrimp.
I have the same problem. Been battling a long time already. Out of desperation I used Pond Algae Relief by Jungle. It’s really strong so you only need a little bit but I’ve found using drops for several days has turned all my algae red and I’m able to cut off or remove those parts. Some just fell off.

Probably the same result as the peroxide. This is just what’s been working for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jungle-P...35&wl11=local&wl12=14122478&wl13=2828&veh=sem

Filtabout I have a few pothos hanging in the tank and when I change the water the roots get exposed to the air and the algae turns red and dies off. I do like seeing it turn red and die muahaha ??

How much peroxide can I safely use and how often? Also should I turn filters and light off while doing it?

Thank you very much! I remember seeing rivercats on AA years ago!

I have another plant related question I figure I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have a few jars and vases laying around that have pothos and other house plants in water. I've been looking at pictures of people putting aquatic plants in the vases in front of Windows. My question is will the aquatic plants grow with just the sunlight? And how do they avoid algae??

I have another plant related question I figure I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have a few jars and vases laying around that have pothos and other house plants in water. I've been looking at pictures of people putting aquatic plants in the vases in front of Windows. My question is will the aquatic plants grow with just the sunlight? And how do they avoid algae??

Yes they will grow in the sunlight. It’s how god made most of them. To avoid algae you have to control how much they get. And have algae eating critters in there. I had a tank outdoors Spring/summer and autumn last year. Did great. A little bit of hair popped up but not too bad.

Tank had a light but it was used for mood lighting in the evening on occasion.

60L Biorb
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356362

Oo I like that biorb! And I understand that's how they are in nature but I always read about how bad sunlight is for a tank so that's where I'm getting a bit confused. So how much sunlight can the tank/vase get before I start running into algae issues? Also would I be able to grow higher light plants in sunlight? Thanks a bunch! ☺

The tank was on my shaded patio. Facing southwest. Only had direct light when the sun dropped low in late afternoon. Plants would pearl like crazy. Try it!

So I spot treated some vals and dipped a few in peroxide and the algae is all turning red yippee! Tomorrow I plan on doing the plants I missed tonight. Hopefully I can finally eradicate it!! I also put a handful of gravel in a cup of peroxide but it doesn't look any different yet but I'll see how it looks in the morning. It's driving me nuts seeing nothing but green gravel ? Thanks again everyone!

The algae was so bad it was hindering the vals anyways so I figured peroxide will either help or they'll melt lol so far they look good. Most of the algae has turned red minus a few spots. So we'll see what happens.

Slight side step - if I want to soak the hubby's BHA covered plastic cascading plants that hang in the back of his 125g in an 18L bucket I am *assuming* I should shake off as much water as possible first - then how much much peroxide, how long & do I need to rinse in conditioned water (I'm on a well so don't usually condition for WCs) or is my "tap" water ok & how long a rinse

Back
Top Bottom