Algae issues. Few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a bloom of algae on my tank walls and the tubes running into the tank. I'm about to move into my new house so I have to empty the tanks anyways and I'm going to do a REALLY good clean on them (probably switch gravel as well as I've been wanting to do that for awhile now).

My biggest question is this:

- I have a HoB filter and a sponge filter. Is there anything special I need to do in order to make sure I don't bring all the algae over into the tank again once it's setup? I don't want to dry out the filters as I don't want to lose my BB. Thoughts? Anybody else with any experience with this?

NOTE: I know the cause of the algae bloom so I will be avoiding that when I get the tank re-set back up.

The algae will get in the tank if you bring it into the tank or not. It's naturally in your tap water. Additionally, if you keep your BB, the algae will be present there as well. Your best bet is to address the root cause, which apparently you've already addressed?

The algae will get in the tank if you bring it into the tank or not. It's naturally in your tap water. Additionally, if you keep your BB, the algae will be present there as well. Your best bet is to address the root cause, which apparently you've already addressed?

It was the light. I had it on WAY to long. I scrubbed off the algae and have cut way back, which has helped a ton. But it was a pretty nasty bloom of it.

So when I set the tank back up after the move it's going to be an issue again since I'm re-using the filter?

Back
Top Bottom