Algae Majic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J. Fisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone used the product Algae Magic or know much about it? I am considering trying it on my large planted tank.

I really hate to resort to this but I have been having a long battle with algae, like many of us. I have been able to reduce alot of the growth but just enough algae (hair mostly) remains to make things ugly.

Most advice given around here runs against chemical control of algae. That said, I've cured hair algae with a 72 hr blackout. Have you tested your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I'd really hate to see you resort to that step. Using any of the Algae killing chemicals are at best a temporary patch. Whatever imbalance exist that caused the algae will not be addressed when using the algae killing chemicals and the algae may disappear for a while...but it will return, usually with a vengeance.

To regurgitate a mantra from a well know plant guru, "if you are adding something that doesn't help plants grow, then the end result won't be better plants." Meaning, provide the best environment for plants to grow and the algae will slowly disappear...and never return as long as you maintain those "plant friendly" conditions.

All that being said, it would stink if I didn't also offer you a way to set things right for your tank. Simply telling you not to use the chemicals is hollow advice if it's not accompanied with advice too.

If you have mostly thread algae here's a plan that will work to eliminate the algae:

It's been my experience that if I have too much iron in my tank that this is the algae most likely to become a problem. Most Thread/Hair algaes grow extremely fast. You can manually remove handfuls every couple of days. While it's likely that excess iron by itself isn't a problem, if excess iron is combined with high levels of dissolved organics and/or other nutrient levels out of balance, then Hair/Thread algae is extremely likely. So, the approach to eliminating Hair/Thread algae is fairly straightforward too. Manually removed as much algae as possible. Do a 50-70% water change. Dose nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and traces to the needed amounts.

Those would be as follows:

Nitrate 5-15 ppm
Phosphate 0.4 to 1.5 ppm
Potassium 10-30 ppm
Traces per the bottle directions of Seachem Flourish or Tropica Master Grow
No additional iron containing fertilizers

Insure that CO2 is in the 15-30ppm range...consistently. Repeat the manual removal, water change, and redosing of nutrients on a weekly basis. By the third week the algae should be about gone and won't return provided you maintain nutrients within the stated ranges and do weekly water changes. Adding an algae eating crew will help eliminate and keep this algae in check. Personally I have great success with SAE's, Rosy Barbs, American-Flag Fish, Amano Shrimp, and Bristlenose Plecos.

I've written a webpage dealing with different types of algae and their removal:

http://www.aquariaplants.com/alqaeproblems.htm

Thanks for the replies, I think i just needed a pep talk.

I will continue trying to keep nutrients in a proper balance and testing all nutient levels. I do weekly 25% water changes. Perhaps I will increase that to 50%.

A little algae doesn't bother me, but as I said , I have a little too much and it doesn't look like it is going anywhere.

Very nice webpage Steve!

Back
Top Bottom