Algae Near Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you scrub algae near the bottom just above the substrate. I accidentally put a tiny scratch on the glass picking up some of the sand substrate with the brush. Is there a way to avoid this?

I found the best way for me is to pull a lot of the substrate away from the glass, clean it and then push it back but I don't have sand so its easier.

I use a razor blade to avoid picking sand up. I push the razor blade downward only on an angle to the glass.

I will try that. Just your standard bare blade, correct? How hard do you press?

I use one of those box-cutter blades. I just hold the bare blade in my fingers. I like the box-cutter blades because the top edge isn't sharp so you can hold it, and the bottom blade is nice and wide. It's made to be "flipped" (change the cutting side) in the box-cutter handle, so the blade itself is a nice size. Don't press too hard at first - press gently and see how much pressure you need to apply. I don't push very hard at all for my tanks. The green spot algae is the toughest to get off, but even that will come off pretty easily with minimal pressure. I don't get too close to the silicon corners, though. Since I'm looking at an angle through the glass and water, I can never tell how really close I am to the silicon, so I leave it alone with the blade. I put some Excel on a paper towel and rub the corners with the paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom