Algae on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed there's a small amount of algae growing on my driftwood and want to know how to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

I've noticed there's a small amount of algae growing on my driftwood and want to know how to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

What color algae? Some good be normal, I've actually grown algae on purpose so my cichlids can graze throughout the day. What's your lighting schedule like? Tank near any windows getting direct sun? Have you checked phosphates? Feeding schedule?

What color algae? Some good be normal, I've actually grown algae on purpose so my cichlids can graze throughout the day. What's your lighting schedule like? Tank near any windows getting direct sun? Have you checked phosphates? Feeding schedule?

Ok so it's on the backside of my bed so there's only direct sunlight for like 10 minutes each day. Lighting is from 7-8 ish. I haven't checked phosphates but I just started dosing with nutrafin plant gro 2 weeks ago. And I feed my fish 2 times a day. One at 7 and one at around 6

Ok so it's on the backside of my bed so there's only direct sunlight for like 10 minutes each day. Lighting is from 7-8 ish. I haven't checked phosphates but I just started dosing with nutrafin plant gro 2 weeks ago. And I feed my fish 2 times a day. One at 7 and one at around 6

What type of fish and plants? So from 7am to 8pm? That's 13 hours of light,you could probably cut down to 9 hours a day of lighting. Just a thought.You can also feed once a day.

Actually when trying to reduce algae reducing your photoperiod to 6 hours will help alot. Then after algae is under control try slow raising your lighting time up by a 1/2 hour each week. If you start to notice algae that mean you need to cut back down 1/2 hour and assume your tank lights need to run for that amount of time daily to avoid algae issues.

How often are you dosing the liquid fert? A picture of the algae would be good as some types can be spot treated with Excel to kill it.

Actually when trying to reduce algae reducing your photoperiod to 6 hours will help alot. Then after algae is under control try slow raising your lighting time up by a 1/2 hour each week. If you start to notice algae that mean you need to cut back down 1/2 hour and assume your tank lights need to run for that amount of time daily to avoid algae issues.

How often are you dosing the liquid fert? A picture of the algae would be good as some types can be spot treated with Excel to kill it.

Yeah, I know I run my lights too long so I need to keep up with that. I dose once a week every Saturday with 5ml of plant gro. And I'll for sure take your advice. Thanks! Here's the log

Attachments

• image-3478229228.jpg
    image-3478229228.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 69
It's really hard to see it in the pic but my guess would be hair algae. What size is your tank as it can be spot treated with hydrogen peroxide or Excel.

You can pull up 2-4ml of hydrogen peroxide or Excel in a needless syringe, get as close to the algae as you can and slowly squirt it. You need to turn your lights and filters off prior to treating and leave them off 15 minutes so the peroxide can work. With as small amount as you have 1 treatment should work. Just give it a couple days to start dying off.

Back
Top Bottom