Algae on stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a aquarium with stones I found in Alps. I cooked the stones and measured water values weeks after to be sure the stones don’t leave unwanted minerals. It looked like working well so I decided to buy fish. Later I found after I scrubbed some stones a fish died. Next time I did again. So now I don’t scrub them anymore.

Later my co2 tank was empty and it took a while to fill....result, explosion of algae....now everything is in control only the Algae leftovers are still on the stones....

I have a few shrimps who eat algae.

Does someone know or by the time the stones get clean by itselves, or scrubbing is unavoidable?

Thank you

Do you know what type of algae? If it was eg black beard algae I’d take the stones out and treat with hydrogen peroxide to remove it.

Hard to say if it will go away by itself. Under very high light I’ve had algae grow on black volcanic rocks (quartz pebbles left alone). It was only after reducing light I could start to make a dent in it.

Similar issue

I have a similar problem but have cleaned my stones before and they are just the regular store bought type any recommendations for that ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom