Algae on tank lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ottermus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Seem to have an issue with algae growing on the glass, above the water, where the lamp unit sits on.... Is this normal?

Your Algae Question

Seem to have an issue with algae growing on the glass, above the water, where the lamp unit sits on.... Is this normal?

Hello Otter...

Algae grows in water with high levels of phosphates. Phosphates are an ingredient in most fish and plant foods. If you feed too much, then there's extra food for the algae.

If you have strong filtration, then water splashes up under the hood. The water is warm, so conditions are perfect for algae. Water, food and light are all plants need.

Most water keepers feed their plants and fish too much. In nature food is scarce, not like at your place. Fish can go a couple of weeks without food. Unless you have fry in the tank, you don't need to feed more than twice a week. Just a little variety of dry and frozen food and just what will be eaten in a minute or two.

I dose my plants about the same, twice a week.

Here's a tip: Take the food away and the algae will shrink and not be such a problem. ***Do large, weekly water changes of half the tank volume too. Your fish will be healthier with less to eat and will thrive in the pure water conditions.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thank you for your reply, I do 50% water changes weekly already so I will try feeding much less, I normally feed daily so hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks

Your Algae Question

Thank you for your reply, I do 50% water changes weekly already so I will try feeding much less, I normally feed daily so hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks

Hello again Otter...

I would follow a slow process when you reduce the food. Since you currently feed daily, then continue daily feedings, just feed a little less. No need to make a drastic change. Put your fish and plants on a diet similar to one you'd follow. Small changes, and over a long period is the best approach. That way, it's barely noticeable, but you get the job done.

B

Thanks, common sense really, cutting portions first, over a period of time they won't notice the difference.

Algae in tanks .. glass hoods are inevitable .. but as BBradbury said, feeding less will help remove needed ingredient for Algae growth. I also get algae spots on my glass canopy ... usually takes a month for the algae to grow to about a quarter's size. I find the Algae easily wipes off.

Yes I normally just remove it when I do a water change but was just concerned in could be harmful

It's not harmful. I have this issue on one of my tanks as well. I just wipe it off every few days with a paper towel. If some drops into the tank, my BN pleco pigs out. :)

Yes I normally just remove it when I do a water change but was just concerned in could be harmful

Unless it just completely out of control ... your fine. The amount of algae between maintenance on the cover should be on par with what you have in your tank ... maybe a bit more.

It's not harmful. I have this issue on one of my tanks as well. I just wipe it off every few days with a paper towel. If some drops into the tank, my BN pleco pigs out. :)

Agreed ... I've got shrimp that would probably have a field day with any that fall into the tank.

Glad to know it's not a problem really. The main down side is the tank looks dirty when the algae is present because its obviously changing the light but at the end of the day it's easily enough removed during water changes.

Back
Top Bottom