Algae or pest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, at first i thought this was just a weird type of algae but now I'm not too sure. I couldn't find any conclusive answer online. Please see picture below. I have several of these around my tank. They're latched onto the glass and are hard to remove (sponge won't remove, fingernail needed). Please help me identify! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200511_161217.jpg
    20200511_161217.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200511_161124.jpg
    20200511_161124.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 12
I considered that, but I couldn't find any images of black beard algae on glass. My situation is also extremely sparse, whereas most of the pictures have large amounts in a close area together. All of the pictures were also on plants, whereas in my situation its only on glass, not on plants.

Sure doesn't look like algae. Could be some sort of planaria. Did a quick google search and nothing really looked like yours though. Most likely harmless though if I had to guess. Keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't think its planaria. I've never seen it or any of the others move. It looks like black algae in that the ends are hairlike (its not a single part that sticks out like a worm would. Also I've never heard of planaria thats bright green.

I've also considered hydra, but the ends are too hairlike, as opposed to hydras having fork or prongs sticking out. I've also touched these and they dont seem to react or retract like a hydra would, so my guess would be algae.

Back
Top Bottom