Algae?? Ottos??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning as I was feeding my fish, I noticed brown stuff on my fake white coral. Theres a little on my other decoration too. I'm guessing it's algae, but if so, what kind and how can I get rid of it? I have good filtration and the only problem in my tank is that one of my plants (water wisteria) keeps losing leaves. I don't remember it being there yesterday but I may not have noticed it. Also, I was thinking about getting an otto a bit ago, would that help with algae? Do I have room to fit an otto with 8 guppies in a 10 gal? (I'm guessing not) Thanks for any help!:thanks:

What do you have for a filter on this tank?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank is relatively new, a little less than 2 months. I have a Marineland Penguin Power Filter. Is this algae just neutral, do I need to do something?

Look up brown algae and diatoms. I think you just need to wipe off the brown algae. My understanding is that it's not harmful but not good either. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. :). We had this in one tank. Cleaned it by wiping off. Never came back.

Brown algae is diatom bacteria. I've had it in every new tank I've ever had. It'll burn itself out eventually, assuming there isn't a ton of dissolved silicate in your tap. If your tank is exposed to sunlight, that will also make the issue worse.

Ottos need to be in a group, and I wouldn't suggest adding them just to clear this stuff up since it should clear on its own.

The wisteria issue could be due to a number of things - poor lighting, poor nutrients, poor substrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look up brown algae and diatoms. I think you just need to wipe off the brown algae. My understanding is that it's not harmful but not good either. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. :). We had this in one tank. Cleaned it by wiping off. Never came back.

My 75g tank is 10 weeks old and I had a pretty decent outbreak of diatoms a few weeks ago. I scrubbed it off, but it just came right back. Plan B is now in effect which would be my 5 new ravenous Otos that are chowing it down as we speak. I would think you'd be okay adding 3-4 to your tank.

I wouldn't mind adding ottos, not just because of the algae, but do I have room for 2-3? Also, I just noticed more algae on the back wall. What about Algaefix?

Back
Top Bottom