Algae over controlled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlbinoShark53

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I just recently bought two baby albino algae eaters for algae control. I bought two just in case one dies. They are doing a really good job and are growing like weeds. But they are doing almost too good of a job. There is almost no visible algae and that makes me concerned if they eat all the algae. Like, if they clean it all up and nothing grows fast enough, will they starve? I try to give them bottom feeder food but my other fish find it before they do. Any suggestions for when the algae is scarce?

Note: I might be getting a 10g for Christmas and may put one of them in there if this becomes a problem.

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

The albino algae eaters are commonly Chinese algae eaters. If they are, then I would rehome them asap. They are notorious for murdering the crap out of friendly fish including eating out there eyes while they are still alive.

They also get a bit big for a 10g and they get too big for. 29 as well because they max out at around 10" :(

The albino algae eaters are commonly Chinese algae eaters. If they are, then I would rehome them asap. They are notorious for murdering the crap out of friendly fish including eating out there eyes while they are still alive.

They also get a bit big for a 10g and they get too big for. 29 as well because they max out at around 10" :(

Oh lord! That's a little violent for my liking. They aren't Chinese algae eaters though. (Thank God)

What are they? Everything ive seen marketed as "algae eaters" have been the Chinese ones.

Albino plecostomus
Sorry ?

Ahh well thats better than :) they are waay too big for a 10g though.

They also can't survive off of algae alone or they will starve. Algae wafers will work nicely for them, just be sure to feed in different parts of the tank at the same time because they can get aggressive towards each other.

They also can't survive off of algae alone or they will starve. Algae wafers will work nicely for them, just be sure to feed in different parts of the tank at the same time because they can get aggressive towards each other.[/QUOTE]

Ok! So I just keep them both in the 29?

They also can't survive off of algae alone or they will starve. Algae wafers will work nicely for them, just be sure to feed in different parts of the tank at the same time because they can get aggressive towards each other.

Ok! So I just keep them both in the 29?

Sent using Messenger Pigeon[/QUOTE]
No reason not to.

What do I feed them while there are small

I break an algae wafer in pieces and let them suck on it. While they are small I would probably try to feed each one about 1/4 of an algae wafer. They also munch on blanched zucchini as well.

every couple of days I throw in a piece of zuchini, cucumber or some random veggie. I keep a small bag of sliced ones frozen then take it out when I need it. Thaw it in the tank water then clamp it to my plant weight and place it at the bottom.

Unfortunately EVERYTHING likes it. So even though the pleco gets in there unscathed hes dealing with my gold/black molly (who has become VERY territorial with veggies) to platys and my snails.
Do you have a piece of driftwood in there? Its a good idea if its really an albino pleco.....

images

every couple of days I throw in a piece of zuchini, cucumber or some random veggie. I keep a small bag of sliced ones frozen then take it out when I need it. Thaw it in the tank water then clamp it to my plant weight and place it at the bottom.

Unfortunately EVERYTHING likes it. So even though the pleco gets in there unscathed hes dealing with my gold/black molly (who has become VERY territorial with veggies) to platys and my snails.
Do you have a piece of driftwood in there? Its a good idea if its really an albino pleco.....

images

No I don't have any driftwood right now but I was thinking of getting something like for my tank with my next purchase.

Back
Top Bottom