algae pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if algae scrubber pads that are ok for accrylic are also ok for the small plastic hexagon tanks at Walmart. My Betta tank is getting dirty.

My betta tank is also a plastic tank from wal-Mart and the algae scrapers leave scratches EVERYWHERE. I have even tried putting a cloth or several pieces of paper between the magnet and the glass on the outside and it still scratches. You're best bet would be one of those rubber/plastic scrapers. I use it and it doesn't leave any scratches. My tank is still scratched up because of the magnet though.

For my acrylic tank I cut a kitchen sponge in half, washed it and poked it on a chopstick.

Similar to what Blucat said, I have a algae cleaner from Petco which is just a stick with a sponge on one end and a thin, wedged plastic piece on the other end. It works great on everything that I've used it with, both glass and acrylic. The plastic end can probably scratch the acrylic, but the sponge end works great. The plastic end works great on getting green spot algae off of glass.

I think it cost less than $3.

THe one I use has a plastic rubbery end and it doesn't scratch at all. In fact, I just cleaned my tank yesterday and there wasn't a scratch on it from the scraper. And I REALLY had to use some pressure because the tank was COVERED with algae.

Back
Top Bottom