Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, introduced first fish to my new tank 3 weeks ago. All went well until a few days ago when I noticed some green and brown discolouring on my backgrond. Also discovered some green algae growth on by substrate and ornaments. A large build up of brown algae has appeared next to the filter outlet. My tank is unplanted and currently has three mollies. Any help appreciated.:mad::mad:

Get one of those fish tank scrubbers and clean it out. Doing a large water change will also help. You could pull out the substrate that is affected and boil it/ rinse it in hot water to get off the algae.

Algae is common in new tanks, if you keep up with water changes and make sure the tank isn't exposed to direct sunlight, it will go away with a little cleaning and time on your part.

I have always had problems with brown algae. The best advice I can give is, if no one is around to look at your tank, turn your lights off. Don't keep the lights on when you aren't home. If you aren't growing any plants and you have some natural light in your room, having the lights off most of the time won't affect the fish at all.

Brown algae, might I add, although very easy to wipe off, is VERY hard to get rid of once it has started, it gets everywhere, and is not a 'new tank' problem that will go away. It is better to leave those lights off more often than not so the problem doesn't start in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Will try a clean up and I probably have been keeping the lights on too much. Rookie mistake.

I personally like having the lights on. They turn on from 9:30am-11:30am, then they are on again from 3:30pm until 10:30pm. A total of 9 hours. I have had some algae issues, but I keep up on scrubbing the tank glass as well as keeping up on making sure the substrate stays clean.

Less light would probably minimize my work when it comes to cleaning the tank but personally I don't mind the extra work since I get to see the fish more often. I have a darker room that doesn't get a lot of light, with the lights off its hard to stare at the fish.

It's fine to leave the lights on if you are there for 9 hours straight to look at the fish. After all, that's what the lights are for. But really, the lights are there for us-the domain masters-to look at the fish. If you have to go run errands, and will be back in an hour or two, turn the lights off.

the 9:30 am to 11:30 am i am there on the weekends, but usually gone on weekdays. The 3:30-10:30 its either my kids or myself (or both later on) that are home during those hours. While at times I make an effort to turn off the switch manually if I am stepping out I usually just let the timer run its set plan.

The only exception to this for me is if I am going on vacation. While I am on vacation I leave the lights off.

The degree of the lighting matters too, and I assume so does the spectrum. I use low lighting, so using less wattage might help also. Algae sucks.

May I suggest some Albino Bristlenose Plecos, get them young and they are Algae eating machines. They only grow to 4" and are great for any tank. They don't eat plants and are peaceful fish. Get them at 1.5 to 2" and let them go.
You can leave your lights on all day if you like.
Also real siamese algae eaters are very functional for hair algae too.
I have both kinds and they do very well.
Hope this helps
Jay
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom