Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 tanks... All of them have algae problems!!! I do a 25% water change every week. I scrub down my tank weekly to get it off the glass, and occasionally take out the decor to clean it. The problem is it keep coming back! The plants are beginning to get dark from algae, spots on the tank are green by the end of the week. Some of the decor is trash I can't scrub it all. I am trying not to use chemicals but I dont know what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

Controlling Algae

I have 4 tanks... All of them have algae problems!!! I do a 25% water change every week. I scrub down my tank weekly to get it off the glass, and occasionally take out the decor to clean it. The problem is it keep coming back! The plants are beginning to get dark from algae, spots on the tank are green by the end of the week. Some of the decor is trash I can't scrub it all. I am trying not to use chemicals but I dont know what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

Hello Candi...

Algae isn't a bad thing. It typically lives in healthy tanks and is a good food supplement for your fish. You just need to scrape the algae from the front of the tank, so you can see the fish.

Large, weekly water changes of half the tank volume will help, as well as feeding your fish less. I feed a little bit every other day and have no visible tank algae.

Ramshorn snails are good algae eaters. Your local pet store should have them.

If possible, get some more plants into the tank. Just check to make sure they'll grow in your specific light conditions.

These suggestions should get you started.

B

Back
Top Bottom