Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have been having an algae problem in my 75 gallon African tank. I scrub the algae off before doing a water change, but after a few days it comes back. This is somewhat difficult because it's hard to reach the back.

I am using the Aqueon LED OptiBright for lighting and I have it on a timer. From 8am-7pm the light is on and from 7-730pm then moonlight is on.

Am I using too much lighting or could there be other issues causing the algae?

I use an AquaClear HOB and do bi-weekly water changes.

How should I manage this in the long term to keep my tank clean and clear?

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_082832061.jpg
    IMG_20180418_082832061.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 112
Hey guys,

I have been having an algae problem in my 75 gallon African tank. I scrub the algae off before doing a water change, but after a few days it comes back. This is somewhat difficult because it's hard to reach the back.

I am using the Aqueon LED OptiBright for lighting and I have it on a timer. From 8am-7pm the light is on and from 7-730pm then moonlight is on.

It does look pretty bright in your tank and I noticed that you don't have any plants that need bright lighting. You can either get a dimmer bulb or you can get some colored plastic and cut it to fit the area betwee the lid and the light fixture. It doesn't even have to be colored. You can use the plastic front a white trash bag. That will keep white light while keeping the light a little dimmer. You should keep a watch on your nitrate levels as nitrates are food for algae.

Hello jc...

Algae isn't a plant, but it works like one. It needs three things to grow: Light, oxygen and nutrients. If you control just one, you can control its growth. The easiest way is to remove nutrients from the water. Gradually increase the amount of water you remove and replace to the point you change out half or even more weekly. By changing out most of the water, you remove any added nutrients from the tank. Your aquatic plants, especially those that float and take nourishment through the leaves can use available food faster than algae. Remove the food and algae won't get out of control. This is what I do, and there's not much algae in my tanks.

B

Scrap it off. I use a 3"razor blade scraper. Do a good 50% water change. And kill the lights down to about 6-8 hrs. A day. If the lights are on just for pleasure then I'd use night mode for the other hrs. If you have night time mode. Imo, way too much light.

It does look pretty bright in your tank and I noticed that you don't have any plants that need bright lighting. You can either get a dimmer bulb or you can get some colored plastic and cut it to fit the area betwee the lid and the light fixture. It doesn't even have to be colored. You can use the plastic front a white trash bag. That will keep white light while keeping the light a little dimmer. You should keep a watch on your nitrate levels as nitrates are food for algae.
I agree with bbradbury in that you need to keep the nutrients down for the algae. That why I mentioned to keep a watch on the nitrates. There are no bacteria to get rid of nitrates and the are plant food that feeds algae. Constant partial water changes will keep them down. But I'll also suggest dimming the light a little with white plastic. The fish will continue to produce waste that will make nitrates, so you mat still have a little algae. I don't have algae because not only do I do constant water changes, but I have cuttings of Pothos which suck up the nitrates very well. Everything looks nice from the front of my tank, but the Pothos house plant cuttings have been growing like crazy. If you put a scenic background on your tank, you might be able to do something similar. Here's a pic of the back of my tank.20180413_164625.jpg

Clarification: green algae is a plant. Other types of algae are not. Agree with other posters- less light, less food, more water changes.

Clarification: green algae is a plant. Other types of algae are not. Agree with other posters- less light, less food, more water changes.
Your correct. Green algae is a plant of which there are many species and they feed on plant food...nitrates.

Wow, thanks for the detailed responses! Luckily, I can adjust the color and brightness of my LEDs. So I will dim the lights a bit, decrease the on time, and do a big water change.

I have considered Pothos but I hear they aren't safe for other pets, and I have cats.

You can try floating plants too, not sure if the cichlids will munch on them or not.... worth a shot.

Use up nutrients + block light + adds a new aspect to the looks of the tank = worth a try.

You can try floating plants too, not sure if the cichlids will munch on them or not.... worth a shot.

Use up nutrients + block light + adds a new aspect to the looks of the tank = worth a try.
Floating plants are a good idea as well. They even help with dimming the light in the tank. And yes, Pothos can be dangerous to cats. But I've had cats for 35 years and they never munched on my potted Pothos, philodendron, nor any other of my 20 houseplants except my dragon tree leaves once in awhile which are harmless. But keep in mind that my cats are allowed outside, so they get to chew on grass when they feel like it so they leave my houseplants alone. If your cats are strictly indoor cats, they will be more likely to munch on an unsafe plant.

I am going to research some floating plants and see if that helps. I did a large water change after scrubbing the algae off of the walls, I have the lights off, and I skipped feeding today.

I am going to research some floating plants and see if that helps. I did a large water change after scrubbing the algae off of the walls, I have the lights off, and I skipped feeding today.
Good idea about the floating plants. Helps with light dimming and nitrate uptake.

Good idea about the floating plants. Helps with light dimming and nitrate uptake.
How often do you test your nitrates and do partial water changes? And your tank does look quite bright. You can cut plastic from a white kitchen trash bag to fit perfectly under your lighting fixture to dim the lighting keeping white light.in your tank.

Hey guys,

Split your photo period. Lights come on for a couple hours, then off for a couple. Repeat. Algae doesn't start the photosynthesis process until after being exposed to light for longer times. Aquatic plants on the other hand start photosynthesis immediately when exposed to light. If you don't have live plants then your lights should be off except when you want to watch your fish.
What about control of BBA
Split your photo period. Minimum 2 hour rest breaks. It takes months to go away with light control alone, but it does work.

Split your photo period. Lights come on for a couple hours, then off for a couple. Repeat. Algae doesn't start the photosynthesis process until after being exposed to light for longer times. Aquatic plants on the other hand start photosynthesis immediately when exposed to light. If you don't have live plants then your lights should be off except when you want to watch your fish. Split your photo period. Minimum 2 hour rest breaks. It takes months to go away with light control alone, but it does work.
In addition to nitrates, algae really thrives in th presence of high silicates. There is silicate removing media available for filfers, but may be hard to find on the shelf at your local aquarium shop. It's not a big demand item, so a lot of fish shops don't want to waste the shelf space. Most pet and aquarium shops can order it for you.

Hey everyone? So we addressed nutrients but only one person addressed having this bright light on for 11hrs a day.

Hey, get a timer, set moon light to come on @ 7:30am and turn off at 10 am (sunrise). I know sunrise is a different light spectrum but at least you can tell the fish to wake up. Have the lights come on at 10am until 7pm. Then moon light from 7pm until you go to sleep. Fish need darkness also. Think about the ocean. New moons provide no night light for an entire week. This schedule provides

Wait a week, if you see the same amount of algae growth, reduce the amount of bright lights to 7 hours a day and start thinking about nutrients.

I have three spectrums on my tank. 630am-7am is moon light. 7am-11am is sunrise. 11am to 7pm is daylight. 7-730 sunset (same as sunrise) then 730-until 12am is moon light. Then 6hrs of darkness. I clean my tank glass of tiny bits of agae every two weeks.

Hey everyone? So we addressed nutrients but only one person addressed having this bright light on for 11hrs a day.

Hey, get a timer, set moon light to come on @ 7:30am and turn off at 10 am (sunrise). I know sunrise is a different light spectrum but at least you can tell the fish to wake up. Have the lights come on at 10am until 7pm. Then moon light from 7pm until you go to sleep. Fish need darkness also. Think about the ocean. New moons provide no night light for an entire week. This schedule provides

Wait a week, if you see the same amount of algae growth, reduce the amount of bright lights to 7 hours a day and start thinking about nutrients.

I have three spectrums on my tank. 630am-7am is moon light. 7am-11am is sunrise. 11am to 7pm is daylight. 7-730 sunset (same as sunrise) then 730-until 12am is moon light. Then 6hrs of darkness. I clean my tank glass of tiny bits of agae every two weeks.
I have already recommend this several postings about algae, but try getting some silicate removing media for you filter. You may not find it on a shelf at your local fish store because it's not something that is popular and pet shops don't want to waste the shelf space for more popular products. But almost every pet shop and aquarium stores can order you items that they don't stock. Algae thrives on high silicates asa well as high nitrates. Get some silicate removing media and it will help control algae. But it's not miraculous, you still may have a little algae here and there to remove once in awhile.

If we are going to use light alone to control algae the photoperiod should be 5-6 hours max per day, and if there is no plants keep them dim or try to reduce the intensity some how.

If we are going to use light alone to control algae the photoperiod should be 5-6 hours max per day, and if there is no plants keep them dim or try to reduce the intensity some how.
I found that reducing the time that the lights are on continuously has the greatest impact, although reducing overall time is definitely in order. 3 cycles of 2 on, 2 off will be more effective than simply reducing to 6 straight hours.

Back
Top Bottom