Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter2009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planed 36 gallon bowfront that has had algae problems since day one (it was initially setup about 9 months ago). Typically, it's a green algae that covers the glass and substrate but more recently there has been a brown algae that coats my plants.

I've tried several approaches to stop it (reduced light period, algaefix, increasing to 2 50% changes per week, different filter mediums that remove phosphates and silicates, etc.) but nothing seems to work.

I'm fresh out of ideas and don't know how to move forward. It looks ugly and I think it's starting to have a negative impact on my plants.

9 months should be long enough for a tank to fully mature. Sometimes it can be longer. It can be much longer if you are doing things that are constantly upsetting the tanks natural balance.

Large frequent water changes with insufficient dechlorination, constantly uprooting plants and cleaning filter media are examples of practices that can keep the tank from fully maturing or prolonging the process.

Reduce lighting periods or blackouts are unnecessary and often fail. Chemicals are a no go in my tank so I’ve never tried algaefix. The only way I can successfully and repeatedly have an algae free tank is by leaving it alone and just feeding the fish twice daily. Trimming excess plant material as a nutrient export mechanism in place of water changes. Eventually the algae dies.

Thanks, Caliban07! I had thought that leaving it alone might be the best course of action but I'm also the type of person who likes to be hands-on. I'll give it some time to settle and keep up with my plant trimmings.

Thanks, Caliban07! I had thought that leaving it alone might be the best course of action but I'm also the type of person who likes to be hands-on. I'll give it some time to settle and keep up with my plant trimmings.

Anytime. You are on the right path by letting nature take its course. I’ve been in your position before. Wanting to be hands on but I often create more issues when I’m hands on.

Btw here is the material safety data sheet for algaefix

IMG_1952.jpg

Look under the hazard statement you will see it is harmful to aquatic life. No, just no please don’t use this in an aquarium with aquatic animals for the sake of a bit of algae. It WILL die away I promise you.

Controlling Algae

I have a planed 36 gallon bowfront that has had algae problems since day one (it was initially setup about 9 months ago). Typically, it's a green algae that covers the glass and substrate but more recently there has been a brown algae that coats my plants.

I've tried several approaches to stop it (reduced light period, algaefix, increasing to 2 50% changes per week, different filter mediums that remove phosphates and silicates, etc.) but nothing seems to work.

I'm fresh out of ideas and don't know how to move forward. It looks ugly and I think it's starting to have a negative impact on my plants.

Hello Ott...

What are you feeding, how much and how often? I've found if you limit the nutrients, algae will die back. Aquatic plants are more efficient nutrient users and if you gradually reduce what you feed, the plants will use the nutrients first and leave little or nothing for the algae. Also, doing a good job of vacuuming the bottom material will remove uneaten food. Check the ingredients of your fish foods. Phosphate and nitrate are generally pretty high in most foods. See if you can change to foods lower in these two nutrients.

B

Back
Top Bottom