Algae problem help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399669605.375831.jpg

A black algae is covering my plants that were once thriving. I had a green alage problem by leaving my lights on to long but i am getting it under control but this is new ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399669769.563604.jpg

Is it long and branching or short and brushy? Hard to tell from your picture. Please describe it as best you can.

Slimy and blackish, on plant leaves, sand an such sticks on it. I would guess it would be a type of cyano but I have no idea

When you disturb it, how does it come off?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cyanobacteria comes in many colors and strains. Hit it with 200 mg erythromycin phosphate/10 gallons water. I also am having a lot of luck switching to all actinic blue lighting for two weeks but I may be the only one who has thought about it.

See that's what I was thinking as it is very similar to the cyano I had when I ran a SW. I still have the blue light bulbs so I might try that along with everything else you suggested. Thanks

As alternative to using an antibiotic you can do a blackout. You also might follow up with Dr Tim's Waste Away. That will help with any underlying problems.

Since he has plants that are reeling, I wouldn't want to go blackout if we can help it.

Beast, what kind of blue light bulbs do you have?

Since he has plants that are reeling, I wouldn't want to go blackout if we can help it.

Beast, what kind of blue light bulbs do you have?

That's true. I guess I just wasn't in tune with how compromised the plants were.

I would certainly drop those actinics in and use them exclusively for a month. They aren't full spectrum (are blue only) so they won't have a K rating. The lack of red will starve the cyanobacteria. The plants grow greenery with blue so they'll bounce back. The antibiotic will make sure we get the cyanobacteria. We need to do both.

I've went to my blues as well this morning trying to head off some cyanobacteria. :)

I'm also going to have to drop in some erythroycin as soon as I get a few days when I can monitor my tank closely. The actinics starve the cyanobacteria but it won't kill it for awhile.

Peak vegetive photosynthesis for plants, though, is right at the ~450nm of actinic blue. Why not play it right into the plants' hand?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. Have you been having any luck yet with blue lights, my plants have new leaves budding on tem

Have you been having any luck yet with blue lights, my plants have new leaves budding on tem

I knew actinic would help. I've successfully cleared cyanobacteria several times with actinic and similar spectra. However, once you switch back to white, the cyanobacteria spores that are left start growing again. You're going to have to use some type of antibiotic to get the spores as well, but you can get things back under control with actinic only.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Ah them I will be sure to invest it that during the weekend because I want this gone for good

Back
Top Bottom