Algae Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmavrik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398982835.540233.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398982861.230944.jpg

This algae has popped up all of a sudden. Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it.

Hydrogen peroxide 3%, get a syringe ( no needle ) and squirt affect areas, you can do this in the tank, it won't hurt your fish. I got that tip from this site and it works really well, got rid of my algae problems with 2 treatment....amazing!! Good luck

controlling Algae

View attachment 235696View attachment 235697

This algae has popped up all of a sudden. Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it.

Hello c...

I would avoid putting chemicals into the tank water. You never know how they will affect fish, plants and even the good bacteria. Some algae is natural and a lot grows in newly set up tanks because the water chemistry isn't stable.

You can control algae naturally, by introducing Common water weed into the tank. It's also called Anacharis. This plant is simple to grow, just drop individual stems into the water. It grows without being planted in the bottom material. The plant produces a natural chemical that slows or stops the growth of algae.

Plants require food, so by reducing the amount you feed, you limit the nutrients. Your other plants will also use some of the dissolved food and further slow the growth of algae.

Last, keep the tank water extremely clean and free of added nutrients by changing out half the tank water every week or two.

This approach worked in my larger, planted tanks. I have no visible algae in any of them.

B

Ok I appreciate the fast response. Where can I buy this plant?

Obtaining Anacharis

Ok I appreciate the fast response. Where can I buy this plant?

Hello again c...

You can likely get it from someone on this forum. Or, you can get it at the local pet store that carries fish and miscellaneous tank supplies. There are online suppliers, like alphaprobreeders.com

B

Back
Top Bottom