algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question everybody from ur own experience about how long of darkness would it take to kill off just slight growth on the decor

well first of all how long do you keep your lights on, also before we find the solution we need to find the cause of the problem for example water parameters, kind of lights and time they run

It's not really a problem its just slight growth like u wouldn't really see it unless I told u but I have the lights on for 8 hours give or take... its just that I am always nose to the glass examining my tank all the time thinking wut else can I do/add to make this better lol

Oh ya and my parameters r pretty stable usually 0-off yellow for ammo and rates stay around 10-20...no problems with my tank just my ocd gettin the best of me haha

Ya man I kno lol I was just looking for 1 specific answer from personal experiences my tank is fine and in good health and the algae is a minimum just natural growth just curious how quickly darkness kills algae haha

Algae in an aquarium is normal. In fact, if there's no algae at all...that's something to be more concerned with. It's simply a matter of control. The easiest way is by reducing your photo period. More light = more algae. In a planted tank it is more complicated because the same things that are good for plants are good for algae. In my non-planted tanks...I only turn on the lights when I'm in the room and want to see the fish. Otherwise the fish don't care. In the wild they don't have a bright light shining down on them. The ambient room light is perfectly sufficient for them.

Wow didn't realize this was gonna be so difficult lol ... I don't wanna offend anyone but did anyone read the original post... I'm not asking y there's algae or wut I should do about it all I'm asking is how quickly will it begin to disappear with the absence of light don't need links don't need lectures or a short story and I kno my tank is healthy and established so no need to ask about it so if u don't have any experience in doing this as the original question asked then plz don't chime in and plz don't take this the wrong way just tryin to clear up the confusion that seems to be going on here lol

Mrc8858 said:
Wow didn't realize this was gonna be so difficult lol ... I don't wanna offend anyone but did anyone read the original post... I'm not asking y there's algae or wut I should do about it all I'm asking is how quickly will it begin to disappear with the absence of light don't need links don't need lectures or a short story and I kno my tank is healthy and established so no need to ask about it so if u don't have any experience in doing this as the original question asked then plz don't chime in and plz don't take this the wrong way just tryin to clear up the confusion that seems to be going on here lol

Oh, I've got plenty of experience with it and know the answer...but sometimes the explanation to your question is more important than the straight answer. So do a blackout, continue to put a bandaid on it (it will keep coming back since you're not open to advice) and good luck.

Did u not hear me the algae is under control and isn't flourishing I do kno wut I'm doing I just heard of ppl using this technique and would like input on that and that's it cuz I've never tried it before but it seems like that won't happen and seems u were a lil offended by my last post which I don't see y u should be I'm not here to make anyone mad its just when I ask a question I don't understand y ppl have so much trouble leaving just an answer if I needed advise that's wut I would ask for

Is this even a planted tank? Otherwise I wouldn't particularly care about alage unless it's really bad. The algae will help break down toxins and nitrate for you. Also, depending on what kind of algae you have, a blackout might not be effective at all.

But to answer your question, probably 3-4 days wrapped up nice and tight with black plastic, no light leaks.

In my non-planted tanks...I only turn on the lights when I'm in the room and want to see the fish. Otherwise the fish don't care. In the wild they don't have a bright light shining down on them. The ambient room light is perfectly sufficient for them.

They actually do care. Their biology is built to function on a circadian rhythm. Without fairly regular lights that mimic the sun, that rhythm is thrown off balance and it stresses them. It's kind of like when a person fails to maintain a consistent sleep schedule and feels groggy and tired. The intensity of the lights are largely not important, but I don't think ambient room light ,is sufficient to create the rhythm.

aqua_chem said:
They actually do care. Their biology is built to function on a circadian rhythm. Without fairly regular lights that mimic the sun, that rhythm is thrown off balance and it stresses them. It's kind of like when a person fails to maintain a consistent sleep schedule and feels groggy and tired. The intensity of the lights are largely not important, but I don't think ambient room light ,is sufficient to create the rhythm.

This will be way OT (which will apparently upset the OP, lol,) but I'd be interested to see info on what degree of lighting is needed. I'm not talking about some dark basement where the fish are deprived of light, but in a normal everyday room in your home I'd be shocked to see that it caused any type imbalance. Obviously fish in lakes, streams, rivers, etc...are not exposed to the equivalent of T-8 or other similar lighting sitting inches above them. I also know tons of experienced members and breeders who do not keep lighting systems on their non-planted tanks. I'm not arguing with you and I'd actually like to see info about the requirements...but I've never once heard it mentioned that fish require an aquarium hood light on their tank to thrive.

Don't get me wrong, they'll be fine, but their biology is wired to have some degree of cyclic regularity to it. I would rather make their homes as natural as possible. It's kind of like the difference between planted tanks and fake ornaments. Sure, fish will do fine with either, but they would prefer the plants. Many breeders don't even bother with substrates or plants half the time.

Also, sunlight is somewhere around 1000 mmol PAR, where as "High light" in a planted tank is somewhere around 100 mmol, roughly 10% of actual sunlight. That's why having any sunlight on a tank makes a algae storm.

i agree with you not only fish but all kinds of life need some light ive read some studies that where ppl lack of light in example seattle are more receptive to sadness and suicidal rate, so ill agree that it has some evect on fish too

Back
Top Bottom