Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
My son has a 10 gallon tank with a globe eye goldfish... We were told when we first got the tank that a 10 gallon could house 2 goldfish. I believe he would prolly be best to keep just 1 in there because we have tryed to add 2 tankmates over the past 3 months(not at the same time, one died then we replaced) and both died within a matter of 2 weeks.

Algae is starting to form on the glass and on the objects in the tank and I have read about bristlenose plecos being good for keeping a tank clean and compatible with goldfish. Would this be too much for this small 10 gallon tank? Also anyone know why the tankmates die while the goldfish keeps kickin no problem? Water changes are being done regularly and the water isn't getting excessively dirty considering its a goldfish that likes to poop a lot.

Well the algae growth could be hindered by a pleco. Goldfish tend to be very dirt fish though so you may wanna check your phosphates and ammonia. Im not an expert but i believe phosphates have to do with algae growth.

Otherwise to solve the algae problem id try a 48 hour black out with the lights. But check your water parameters, and the problem with other tankmates could be revealed.

What kind of algae is it?

Goldfish need 10 gal per fish since they are messy. Have you tested the Nitrates?

I'm going to guess that it was the slimey brown algae that likes to grace goldfish tanks. Blacking out the tank will not help. You need to do water changes often with goldies. Even if you have a good filter, you will need to change the filter medium often and do a water change while you are at it.
I bet you didn't quarentine the new goldies you got. The bring their own illnesses from the store and can also die of stress. I've had new fish come down with parasites after three weeks of quarentine in water with an overdose of quick cure.
A ten gallon can house 2-3 small/medium goldfish, if you are willing to do the maintenence. I've got one 5 inch and two 2 inch common goldies in a ten gallon and I do a 1 gallon water change every morning. I also syphon my ugf every week.

also if you aren't doing regular water changes your nitrate levels may be high enough to not only encourage algae but to kill new tank mates. Your old fish may be used to living in unhealthy conditions.

check nitrates. If they are very high. do a 10 percent water change, once a day for about a week.. then get in the habit of doing 30 percent water changes once or twice a week.

don't start with huge water changes because you can shock your fish. and remember to use declor and try to match the water temp.

Buy a testing kit and test your water. Your ammonia & nitrites should be 0. You want to try to keep your nitrates under 40 ppm and that should dictate how often you need to do partial water changes. I wouldn't add any new fish till you have tested your water to see exactly where you are at. The current fish has had time to slowly adjust to the tank water and that may be why he lives on while newer fish drop.

If the algae is the brownish easy to wipe away stuff then that is diatoms. They are common in newer tanks. Just keep wiping it away and doing lots of water changes and it will eventually go away over time.

I am doing a weekly 50% water change because I read they are very dirty and need it. I quarantined the past 2 fish before adding and they seemed to be just fine for ahile then poof they would be floating there with no signs of illness leading up.

I will check the water quality though... The type of algae is a brownish algae that looks like the glass has smoke on it or a burn mark, it wipes right off but comes back quickly.

The type of algae you are describing Alvarez is common in new tanks. Just keep wiping it off and eventually it will go away.

I have never had a Goldfish before so perhaps its common with Goldfish? My other tanks never got this before. (cichlid tank or shark tank)

It's common in practically all tanks, not just goldfish. You may not have experienced it, but it is pretty common. :D It doesn't hurt anything, just a pain to look at all the time.

My Rainbow shark is CONSTANTLY licking the sides of the glass on my other tank and may be eating it before it forms possibly?

i have also had these problems but i just did water changes more often and it went away... also remember to vac your substrate as well

Back
Top Bottom