Algae recomendations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like some tips on how to control algae growth. For the few months I've had my tank set up I haven't had any algae growing now I'm starting to get some. Not sure if its Bc the weather is getting warmer or the water temp is to warm. Any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of algae? Can you post a picture so it can be identified? What type of lighting do you have and how long do you run it daily? Also what size tank. Do you dose liquid carbon or have CO2? Lastly what ferts are you using? Need this info so can give you correct advice on the type algae you have and identify what is possibly causing it.

To be honest I have no idea what kind it is (didn't know there were different kinds) I can see it growing on the glass of tank. It's small and moves with the current, it's on my decor but its hard to see. Ill try and get a good pic. I have a 37 gal tank and I only put stress coat in it and tetra easy balance plus (weekly). I have a standard fluorescent bulb in it and only turn it on at night for about 3 hours or so.

Here's the best pic I could get. Like I said its small and all over the glass. I've never had it grow before so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

• image-37660976.jpg
    image-37660976.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 61
Are they growing in small little tufts? Also since your using that Tetra Easy Balance how often are you doing WC's and how much do you take out and change?

They are growing small and evenly across all glass surfaces. I'm doing about 1/3 give or take wc every week and adding the easy balance a little later

Can you measure your nitrates and phosphates? Your not running your lights too long and it just doesn't look right for green dust algae. Also have you ever checked your tap water supply for nitrates and phosphates? Do you have any live plants? Sorry for all the questions but this is alittle odd.

Never checked my tap water and I don't have a kit that will test phosphates. But my latest test as of the 2nd are. Ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10.

Well I'm stumped as to why your getting it but in your size tank you could add a Bristlenose Pleco (I like the albino's as they tend to stay out during the day) and a small number of nerite snails. Nerites can't breed in freshwater so you won't get over populated with them. For the glass I'd just use an algae magnet to keep it clean.

This is what I have in the tank now. 3 Cory cats, 5 long finned tetras, Dalmatian Molly and a lyre tail Molly, dwarf gourami and a powder blue gourami. Will those fish be compatible with what I have?

Back
Top Bottom