Algae removers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive recently had a huge increase in that Black Beard algae in my tank. Ive reduced the photo period to about 5 hrs a day (down from 9) and have been physically removing it once or twice a week.

Does anybody know if the OTC algae removers from the LFS is effective against BBA? The bottles say they combat "most types" of algae, but Id rather not waste my money if BBA isnt one of them.

Thanks

Ive recently had a huge increase in that Black Beard algae in my tank. Ive reduced the photo period to about 5 hrs a day (down from 9) and have been physically removing it once or twice a week.

Does anybody know if the OTC algae removers from the LFS is effective against BBA? The bottles say they combat "most types" of algae, but Id rather not waste my money if BBA isnt one of them.

Thanks

I think you mean Black Brush Algae haha. In this thread I started yesterday, I discuss BBA. This also depends if your tank is planted. BBA can be a pain. Hope this helps:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/best-algae-eaters-for-the-planted-tank-273393.html

If your situation isn't similar to mine, just say so.

I think you mean Black Brush Algae haha. In this thread I started yesterday, I discuss BBA. This also depends if your tank is planted. BBA can be a pain. Hope this helps:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/best-algae-eaters-for-the-planted-tank-273393.html

If your situation isn't similar to mine, just say so.

I think we might be in the same boat. The Peroxide solution could be something to try. Still wondering about whether or not the AlgaeFix would work though.

I think we might be in the same boat. The Peroxide solution could be something to try. Still wondering about whether or not the AlgaeFix would work though.

NOOOOO!!!!!! Don't buy any algae killers! You will more than likely murder your fish over killing the algae. I know it's tempting but don't do it. Peroxide is good for spot treatment, dosing for the tank has left a lot to be desired for most people so it's a hit or miss if you use it that way. Excel dosing works pretty well. But you need to understand the root of the problem. I'm currently dealing with BBA in my planted tank.

Could you post some pics so we can confirm its BBA? And for the record it's called Black Brush AND Black Beard Algae so the OP wasn't making it up lol. How big is your tank, how much and what kind of light, how far is the light from the substrate, and water parameters.

One other thing to check is how long ago did you last change the bulbs on the tank? Over time they produce a different wavelength which can promote all types of algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom