Algae spread question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey gang...
I have some green algae starting up on the back glass of my roughly 2 month old aquarium which I plan on scrubbing off before my next water change. I'm wondering if the algae will spread as there will undoubtedly be some of it left floating around in the tank after I do this. Does algae spread this way? Do I just clean it off, do my water change, about 30%, and carry on? Also does cleaning the algae off with a brush freak out the fish? I know that they do alright with the gravel vacuum so I guessing it won't be an issue. The tank is 98 liters and has 7 white clouds and 3 guppies in it at present.

thanks, as a newbie this forum is a great resource and I really appreciate the time you guys put in to help a guy like me.

charlie

Hey gang...

I have some green algae starting up on the back glass of my roughly 2 month old aquarium which I plan on scrubbing off before my next water change. I'm wondering if the algae will spread as there will undoubtedly be some of it left floating around in the tank after I do this. Does algae spread this way? Do I just clean it off, do my water change, about 30%, and carry on? Also does cleaning the algae off with a brush freak out the fish? I know that they do alright with the gravel vacuum so I guessing it won't be an issue. The tank is 98 liters and has 7 white clouds and 3 guppies in it at present.

thanks, as a newbie this forum is a great resource and I really appreciate the time you guys put in to help a guy like me.

charlie

You can just wipe it off. Algae spores will most likely already be in the tank anyway. They are just waiting for the right conditions to grow. Most of us get a bit of green algae on glass. The longer it takes to form obviously the better. Try increasing water changes and/or lowering the light duration/intensity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom