Algae wafer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biubekeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have some Otto cats because of my algae problem. they were very good at removing it. Trouble was that the algae was gone in a week. Went down to the LFS and bought a packet of algae wafers. My media is marble sized and the wafers simply sink and get caught between them where the Ottos can't get to them. I have had fish getting trapped trying to feed on it as well. The worse thing is that this feeds my annoying snail population. I can't let the Ottos starve. Please help. Thanks in advance.

i dont know how fast the ottos go for the food, but if they try to eat it soon after you drop it in you might be able to put the wafer in a clip (like a chip clip) and that would keep it out of the substrate until they melt.

put a piece of lettuce in the tank at night before you go to sleep, when you wake up it should be covered in snails, just pull out the lettuce with the snails. do this for a couple days and your snail population should go down dramatically.

EDIT: just read your other thread about the snails. so uhhh do what neilanh said :)

Back
Top Bottom