Algae wafer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just would like some people's opinions. I have 6 cories in my tank and feed them with 1 algaev wafer every other day (along with flakes). I am just curious if you through whole wafer in tank, cut it in half, or break into pieces, or crush it completely? Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Corys are more meat eaters than algae eaters so if you only feed algae you will starve them. Try Hikari sinking wafers they have more protein

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, I am using the correct wafers, I just said algae wafer as it was just easier to type. I am looking for opinions on how you feed the wafers to them

It depends on the size of the cories and the size of the wafers. The wafers I get are about the size of a U.S. penny. For my six Panda cories I put a whole wafer in, but broken in half so they aren't all crowded around the same place. For my seven Pygmy cories I only give half a wafer as they are much smaller.

I think cories would be classified as omnivorous, so they need a little bit of both meat and plant in their diet. Double check your food to see what its ingredients are.
I can't say this is true for all brands, but the wafers I get are also made with fish protein. Kelp and spirulina are the primary ingredients, but there's krill, shrimp and salmon in there too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mine has fish meal as first ingredient then a lot of vegetable stuff and toward the end it lists krill meal and spirulina.

Specifically, mine is the Hikari Algae Wafers (green and white package)

Ok. You need the orange and white package. These wafers are small and I feed several a day. Not one per cory but more than one so everybody gets some. These wafers have vegetable matter and algae and protein from fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441942692535.jpg
    1441942692535.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 40
Okay, thanks Brennae.

Back
Top Bottom