Algae wafers STINK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sambos_gurl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys I recently bought some Hikari algae wafers for my mystery snail which I am being very careful not to over feed. The smell when you open the lid of the tank is horrid! Is this normal, if not what do I do to fix it?

I have been feeding half of a wafer every night if that helps. I changed the water the other day just to make sure the water quality was ok for my betta. I also tested the ph and ammonia levels and everything tested ok so I am at a loss with what to do?! :turn-l:

How are your nitrate levels? How big is the snail? Half a wafer seems like a lot for 1 snail?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

The snail is smaller than a golf ball but not a baby by any means either. About the size of a quarter maybe a little smaller. Half a wafer is too much? Should I replace some of the water or skip a feeding for a day to help clear things up?

The nitrate levels I'm not sure, I will have to get back to you when I do a reading.

What size of tank do you have? I use Hikari algae wafers, in my 29g, and I've never noticed a smell. =] Are you sure it's the wafers?

Back
Top Bottom