Algea and algea eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently noticed that there are two different typed of algea in my 55 gallon aquarium. One is a darker green developing along the glass just above the gravelImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402533035.555731.jpg
The second is developing where my filter is pushing the water against the glass. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402533099.965379.jpg
I am wondering what caused it and how to stop it. I was also wondering if i could get an algea eater of sorts to help maintain the tank.
Stock:
Labidochromis caeruleus 3x
Peacock cichlid
Featherfin catfish
Again it is a 55 gallon and it has plenty of hiding places. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402533331.990382.jpg

I thought about snails, but wouldnt my cichlids eat them? If not eat then harrass them to death?

Rather than adding another organism, I would advise doing frequent water changes to remove excess nutrients.

I know that i have to prevent the problem from occurring in the first place, but i also want something that will help maintain the tank and clean the rocks and stuff. I also need to know what type of algea it is and how to prevent it.

I know that i have to prevent the problem from occurring in the first place, but i also want something that will help maintain the tank and clean the rocks and stuff. I also need to know what type of algea it is and how to prevent it.

Limit the amount of light and nutrients in the tank. Your choice of fish has severely limited the types of algae eaters you can use. I would really hesitate to suggest any inn a tank with African cichlids.

Thanks, i will start to turn the lights off earlier. How about a pleco of sorts? Something that gets a little bigger, but is still small enough for the tank and can fend off the cichlids?

Thanks, i will start to turn the lights off earlier. How about a pleco of sorts? Something that gets a little bigger, but is still small enough for the tank and can fend off the cichlids?

Africans have a tendency to go for the eyes of plecos once they realize there's.no getting through their armor. It could work but then again it could end with a blind pleco.

I definitely want what is best for the fish. That sucks. I really wanted something to help maintain the tank... Thanks for the help.

A timer from Wal-Mart is about $5 and works wonders for a steady photo period.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom