Algea Control Medication? HELP PLEASE!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLuva

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey its me and im alittle confused about this medicine. Its call ''Algea control'' , broad spectrum algea control from the company named Tetra. What I dont get iswhen it said '' Remove activated carbon filters after dosing for 6 - 8 hours.'' Does it mean remove or to turn the filter off? And I am not sure wat a carbon filter is and what it looks like. Also I have this cup that tells me the ml. And it says to only add 1ml 4 every 12 gals but my tank is only 10 gals. Also mine only says 5ml to 15ml. It says Do Not Overdose. Also it says make sure the tank is well aerated and not sure wat '' aerated'' means. Ive had the medicine 4 a few weeks and nevered used it becuase im afraid of doing sumthing terribly wrong! Pleas help me!!
Thank You,
~>Myni<~

If trying to treat algae, don't bother with commercial algae removers. Rather describe your tank to us and the kind of algae you have and we will help you figure out the cause of the algae and how to get rid of it.

Well my tank is 10 gals, six sides, has a lamp adapter. has artificial plants, air bubbles, and a tank heater. The algea is on the walls and is the color green.

How long are your lights on and how often do you feed? What fish do you have in the tank?

Green algae on the walls of the aquarium is common. The main causes are overfeeding and lights on too long. You can scrape the algae off with an algae scraper, or a razor blade if the tank is glass and not acrylic.

Well I open up curtains near my tank once I get up. When its dark like 5-7:00 I turn on lights and turn off when at around 10-11:00. I feed 1-2 times a day. I have 4 zebra danios, 2 black skirts tetra, and 3 serpae tetra.

The natural lighting is the most likely culprit. Does it get direct sunlight? One of the great causers of algae.

I agree that too much natural light is a large part of your problem. Also, how often do you do partial water changes (PWCs)?

My tank isnt in direct sunlight but is next my window. I clean my tank every other weak.

What is 'clean'? A 25% water change?

If you have too much nutrients in the water, it will contribute to algae growth.

Change 25% of your water weekly... don't forget to add dechlorinator and match temperature. :)

In the word ''clean'' I ment pwc and I do 20% - 35% pwcs.And yup I always add dechlorinator and match the tempature. Thanx 4 reminding me though.

Back
Top Bottom