Algea eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the Borneo sucker is a very good fish and pretty to look at they can be called a Hong Kong pleco, hillstream loaches, butterfly plecos, Chinese butterfly loaches, and butterfly flatfishes , all different names for the same fish

Ok so here's the decision.

No algea eater ( kinda bummed , could I get one and feed it algea wafers and cucumbers?)
Adjust my lighting ( done)

Bubbles0oO said:
Ok so here's the decision.

No algea eater ( kinda bummed , could I get one and feed it algea wafers and cucumbers?)
Adjust my lighting ( done)

What your filtration and water change schedule? Readings of nitrate after a week?
I think you do have room for something. :)

I have an aquaclear power 60 ( planning on adding a whisper power 60 as well)
My water change schedule is 2 times a month( 50-75%)
And my parents won't let me test the nitrates or do any tests, they don't trust me with chemicals, just their living room and a few hundred dollars a month lol

Bubbles0oO said:
I have an aquaclear power 60 ( planning on adding a whisper power 60 as well)
My water change schedule is 2 times a month( 50-75%)
And my parents won't let me test the nitrates or do any tests, they don't trust me with chemicals, just their living room and a few hundred dollars a month lol

Up your water changes to weekly 50%. Fortnightly is leaving too long between and causing a drastic change in water conditions when all that new water is added. Next time your at the LFS take a water sample and get it checked. If everything checks out (0 ammonia and nitrite, less than 20 nitrate) your fine to add another fish like a bristlenose, SAE, school of ottos (if your tanks mature enough).

Mumma.of.two said:
Up your water changes to weekly 50%. Fortnightly is leaving too long between and causing a drastic change in water conditions when all that new water is added. Next time your at the LFS take a water sample and get it checked. If everything checks out (0 ammonia and nitrite, less than 20 nitrate) your fine to add another fish like a bristlenose, SAE, school of ottos (if your tanks mature enough).

What's a SAE?
How do I know if my tanks mature?
Will do with the water sample, going today to get a light fixture for my teachers tank
Will try to up the water changes, I will do one a week but could skipping a week every month work? It's kind of a day taker thing

Bubbles0oO said:
What's a SAE?
How do I know if my tanks mature?
Will do with the water sample, going today to get a light fixture for my teachers tank
Will try to up the water changes, I will do one a week but could skipping a week every month work? It's kind of a day taker thing

Siamese algae eater.
Stable, cycled 6+ months old.
Weekly water changes are essential. It's part if the hobby. It should only take an hour even using buckets. I use a garden hose attached to the kitchen sink and can do 50% water changes on 9 tanks in 2 hours (with two kids running around my feet!).

I set my tank up in January , so almost mature

LOL I do water changes by myself , in a 5 g cooler, with 55 gal tank and a gravel vac. My plants either float or stay in another 5 g bucket full of tank water. I really keep no decorations in the tank, and sorta regret choosing the blue gravel lol

How can I gravel vac then? The plants make up my tank. I'll post a pic in the morning if I remember, but for now I'm going to bed lol

Bubbles0oO said:
How can I gravel vac then? The plants make up my tank. I'll post a pic in the morning if I remember, but for now I'm going to bed lol

Lol. Don't. If you have planted areas of your tank (with live plants) IMO you don't need to vac those areas. Fish poo makes good fertilizer. ;)

Here's a pic. I think you know why it looks difficult....
the red plant to the right and the dark far green plant to the left are fake plants, also I know the bones to the right are ribbons, Ii have kept ribbons for forever and these are from my 16 gal which they out grew
View attachment 85663

Just gravel vac the front and leave the back. Honestly your creating more work for yourself by removing everything all the time. I can't imagine it would be too good for the fish seeing there home/territories disturbed every week.

Back
Top Bottom