Algea eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 55 with an algae problem.
I don't want to use algae fix because I don't like chemicals ( besides prime and plant health stuffies) I like the idea of a algae eater and was wondering what you guys think would fit best. I will never ever ask my petco or petsmart for fish advice again lol

55 g planted
1 angelfish
3 platys
6guppies
1 swordtail
4 mollies
5 Cory cats
Too many countable pond snails.

What could work with these guys? I don't really want to get rid of my Cory's but I will if I have too. I have a few other tanks that they would work in

Also I don't need advice on my schooling numbers, I have plans to up them with the next pay check along with the algae eater

Angels will eat shrimp I have read somewhere..
A BN pleco or 2 are nice algae eaters, very active light or night.. But quite messy.

Aww cute! How many ottos can I fit in my tank?

I know about angels and their shrimpie foods lol would bamboo shrimp be too big for them to eat or would my angel constantly pec on him?

I'll look into BN plecos

Wow the BN pleco is soo cute!

I see a lot of pics of the pleco eating cucumber, I feed my mystery snails cucumber slices , I have to put the under a rock, how do I make cucumber sink?

I can't get a good pic of it but it's in small green circles, like bright grass green, the largest of the circles being like 1/16 an inch they are coming up more and more, and it's have been transferred during a water change day to my 16 gal who has many did problems

Bubbles0oO said:
Wow the BN pleco is soo cute!

I see a lot of pics of the pleco eating cucumber, I feed my mystery snails cucumber slices , I have to put the under a rock, how do I make cucumber sink?

I usually stick mine on a fork and they just hang out

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120327_153405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120327_153405.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 78
Bubbles0oO said:
I can't get a good pic of it but it's in small green circles, like bright grass green, the largest of the circles being like 1/16 an inch they are coming up more and more, and it's have been transferred during a water change day to my 16 gal who has many did problems

Green spot algae. Just use a plastic card (like a credit card) to scrape it off. IMO/E nothings going to eat that. My bristlenoses, SAE, ottos and shrimp don't go near the stuff. I have to scrape it off weekly.

So there is no natural fix for it? I also have aquifer some plants that have this blackish brown algae growing on the edge of the leaves

Edit: it's on lots of my soft leaved wisteria how should I get it off of there?

Bubbles0oO said:
So there is no natural fix for it? I also have aquifer some plants that have this blackish brown algae growing on the edge of the leaves

Edit: it's on lots of my soft leaved wisteria how should I get it off of there?

Manual removal is a natural fix. Adding a fish won't solve an algae problem.
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#Spot
What algae do you have. This has the types.

What your lighting and how long is it on for? What ferts do you use?

Ok, the room I have he tanks in has a window that is shining into it most of the day. I agree with the timer, I'm getting one for y vacation anyway

Edit: what time should I turn the lights on? What about off?

Edit#2: also what can I do about the other brush algae ? How can I get rid of that... My fry have eaten a bit but not a lot

Bubbles0oO said:
Ok, the room I have he tanks in has a window that is shining into it most of the day. I agree with the timer, I'm getting one for y vacation anyway

Edit: what time should I turn the lights on? What about off?

Edit#2: also what can I do about the other brush algae ? How can I get rid of that... My fry have eaten a bit but not a lot

The light from the window will be contributing to the spot algae. Try and keep the blinds/curtains drawn to avoid that. Scrape it off.

The black brush (BBA) is from too much light and not enough co2. Spot treat it with excel like in the link above and your fish will eat the dead/dying bits.

Any time that suits you. If you are out of the house all day and want to see your tank at night just have the timer come on in the afternoon and off before bed. If your there during the day, have then on then. It doesn't really matter when as long as the tank has some 'day' and some 'night' times.

Ok, that's what I was worried about. I am gone from 7 to 4 so I could turn the tank lights on at 4 then run them until .... 10? That sound right?

Back
Top Bottom