algea, nitrate, and my problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BmxBandGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, i have an algea build up (water is really green, you cant see from one side to the next) and my nitrates are 10ppm..and everythign else is really normal except KH and GH witch are like 200ppm-ish..is my nitrate problem also contributing to my algea problem? or is my nitrate level normal?...i have 2 natural daylight bulbs, and an eclipse hood on a 37 gal tank..no plants

Nitrate up to 40 ppm is fine for a tank. Your KH and GH are probably normal for your tank. Those are hard to change and are present in your tap water. How often do you vac the gravel with a water change? How long are the lights on? Is the tank in direct sunlight?
What fish are in there?

never had a vac, moms bringin me home one tonight, and the lights are on from about 7am-11pm...not in direct sunlight, and 3 goldfish, 6 zebras, 2 red tail black sharks, and a pleco

That's a lot of fish for that tank. The goldies are huge waste producers--many people recommend 10-15 gals per goldie. Aside from that, the goldies and the other tropicals have very different water needs.

For the algae, you must start vacuuming the gravel regularly. Also, keep the tank light on for only 8 hours and see if that helps.

my mom wont let me get rid of the goldies (moms friend made her take them)..if it were up to me..the would b out of the house a good 40 miles away from me..haha..could i keep the light on for an extra 3 or so hours if i take one of the lights out?

Back
Top Bottom