Algee problem??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zao

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey people,
My 120 Gallion aquarium, just got done cycling and durning the cycle algee grew link a son of a gun! Well after the cycle, I got a pleco and he really did clean up alot, it is still bad tho! It is really bad in one secion of the tank on the gravel, and on the sides of the tank.

I clean the aquarium, about ever two weeks, by vac the gravel, cleaning the side of the tank with an algee scrapper. Once I am all done, everything looks good, and then two days later, it is right back to the gravel starting to get green and the side of the aquarium. Now my theory is that, my light fixture is to bright or something, casuse it as two 48" floursant bulbs in it. I don't know what kind of bulbs they are, but it came with the aquarium, when I bought it.

So if that is my problem, is there some kind of light bulb, that I could buy to help put a stop to this?? Or is there something that I could do to help stop this, casue it is really starting to get on my nerves! :D

Thanks
Andy

Algae needs some form of nitrogen and some light to do well. Have you tested your water for nitrate? do you feed the fish more than they can eat in a minute or two? do you leave the lights on more than 8 hours a day? any of these of these things can cause the algae to grow..
Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and turn those lights off every once in a while.. HTH

(thanks go out to TankGirl for helping me to answer this question better!) :D

Back
Top Bottom