Alien fish snatchers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
update:
Still have not found any more shrimp or my cherry barbs, or the swordtail. But all 3 bamboo shrimp have returned to the 46g tank. Yeah!!!

see i have the same problem in my ten gallon.
my favorite blue guppy and some other that are just guppys keep dissapearing.
but i found a body today it floated out of nowhere and was all mangled. i was like ewww. lol
i was medicating another fish and came back and the body was gone. this was about 5 minutes tops . completely gone.
but at least i know what killed mine.
just keep looking,
maybe the filter sucked it up and the body is decomposing in there.
i already said that before.
lol

yeah the tank with the missing shrimp and cherry barbs has a bubble sponge filter and an undergravel filter - so it can't suck anybody up - did it this way for the shrimp.

OH MY GOSH!!! One of my cherry barbs has been returned home!!!! I saw her this afternoon. I have no idea where she has been hiding (I really think the aliens took her for awhile). I am so happy to see her!!!!
In the tank with the missing golden sword, now a black molly is missing, and in her place there are 9 little fry.

Musket - is your tank heavily planted ? These fish comings and goings are quite interesting. None of mine have ever returned :(

I'd say it is moderately planted. I have a small crypt, anubias, java moss and fern, rotala a small sword and floating riccia (because it fell apart). I recently planted some glosso, but it isn't showing up much yet to be of any coverage, and there is a red lily too. I can see the back walls, not all of them of course. But when I go around the tank, I can see just about everything.

Underground filter???? I've heard over and over that people find fish under the plates! They have to take the whole tank apart to get the fish out. It's possible...
This is a fascinating thread ... we make sure we find all our fish everyday. It's my kids who are the best at finding any I can't.

I have no openings that anyone can get under the plate. Even if they burrowed down to the palte, the only thing that could get through my slates would be a baby fry or shrimp. I have larger pebbles, so even if a fish got stuck in the stones, I would easily be able to see them.

An underground filter? I have heard more than once from people who have lost fish and found them under the plates. You usually have to take apart the tank to rescue them (or recover the body as the case may be). You may want to look into that possibility.

Thanks Cinder, I have rechecked the entire tank and there is NO way anyone can get under my plate..

lol. the alien fish snatchers stole one of my cory cats last night.

I hope she is having fun on the spaceship.

You have problems man.... I have had fish go missing before as well though. Most of the time I find no trace, on occasion I might find a body a few days down the road.

My problem is the invisible killers. Never see aggression in a tank, but yet fish go missing, fish end up with missing tails and fins. :/

Back
Top Bottom