All my plants died....water test was fine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just can't keep plants alive in my tank. Had my water tested as I do weekly and nothing bad was found. The people at my LFS said it was probably because I need a light specifically designed for plants.

I am thinking i want to give up anyway and just go with fakes. But the fakes seem so hard and could harm the skin on my frog and upside down cat.

Should I try real ones again? Could the light be my problem?

or would fake ones be better?

4 of the sword plants were the last. I have had a few others...sadlyi 4got what they were called.

My light is an aquarium bulb I got from Lowes where I work.

what kind of bulb? how many watts? how long do you leave the lights on?

swords are not low light plants thats prob your problem.

I am sure your light is the problem, plants are so fussy when it comes to growing well in an aquarium. Maybe have artificial plants mixed in with hardy live plants.
I doubt the artificial ones will harm your frog or catfish, anyway a thin layer of algae will smooth them out soon enough.

I second the lighting answers. Although my swords are doing well in my 10g with 15w over it. I use root tabs and have playsand.

If you go fake you could always get silk plants if you are worried about them hurting your fish. They also appear more life-like since they move with the currents.

What other plants have you tried? Any of the low light plants?

I was having trouble too (although, strangely, I can grow swords), and I got some java fern that I put into a crevice in my driftwood. It seems to be doing ok.

Also, some feathery tall stuff the name of which is escaping me that also seems to be doing well.

I have a small banana plant that looks like it's on the way out though.

Lighting is probably the most important factor with plants. I've heard about 2 watts per gallon is a good starting point. I've got a 29g with an incandescent hood and I could only fit two 13w CFL bulbs in it, so I leave the lights on for about 14 hours and I add fertilizer. Some plants do ok. I've got a few Amazon swords and some other plants I got in an assorted plant bunch from Petco that are growing, but I also have a few plants that just seem to kinda melt away. I think it's the darker green the plant is, the less light it needs. Gotta be careful to actually get aquatic plants too. I couldn't believe how many of the plants in my local Petsmarts and Petcos are actually swamp plants that will survive underwater in ideal conditions, but they really won't flourish.

Back
Top Bottom