Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishlover13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
All of my fish died but 3

Ok so all of my fish died but 3 my
Male DG
Platy
Snail
Will my DG eat shrimp and what are some other choices.
I have a 25 gallon.
__________________

__________________
Fishlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,090
Sorry to hear it? Why did they die?
__________________

__________________
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishlover13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
Sorry to hear it? Why did they die?
Ok its a long story. I was getting a bigger tank for Christmas it was a used 25 gallon that my aunt had A pleco in. I didn't get to see the tank before I got it and on Christmas day when I saw it it was really nasty and was not taken care of. That when I was told she had never done a water change and her water was green and murky and her fish was sick. Wit my luck my 10 gallon tank that my fish were staying in, literally just started leaking on Christmas morning (the dayi got the tank) so i had choice but to put the water from the 10 gallon (that water was already cycled). So her sick fishes bacteria(ick) stayed in the aquarium an got on my fish. The ick is gone and my three survivors are stressed because of the other ones dying. My DGs buddys died (an outcast HR)so now the only thing he will do is eat and my Platys buddy( a guppy that died). My snaul dosnt seem to be affected.
__________________
Fishlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,090
Please get the new tank healthy before you add anything to it. Sounds like a rough time. Sorry.
__________________
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
You need to not only get the tank healthy but you need to clean it up. Do WC's, clean the gravel well with a gravel vac, clean the filter, clean any decorations. BUT you can't do it all at once. Do a 50% WC while cleaning half the gravel well. Then in a couple days do another WC and clean the other 1/2 of the gravel. The next week do your weekly 50% WC but this time clean your filter BUT don't clean the bio-media. If it's really nasty then rinse the bio-media in a bucket of the tank water you removed, never clean bio-media under tap water or you'll kill off your beneficial bacteria. Keep working on the tank each week until it is clean and healthy and that your remaining fish have been ick free for a good month IMO before adding anything else to the tank.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishlover13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
You need to not only get the tank healthy but you need to clean it up. Do WC's, clean the gravel well with a gravel vac, clean the filter, clean any decorations. BUT you can't do it all at once. Do a 50% WC while cleaning half the gravel well. Then in a couple days do another WC and clean the other 1/2 of the gravel. The next week do your weekly 50% WC but this time clean your filter BUT don't clean the bio-media. If it's really nasty then rinse the bio-media in a bucket of the tank water you removed, never clean bio-media under tap water or you'll kill off your beneficial bacteria. Keep working on the tank each week until it is clean and healthy and that your remaining fish have been ick free for a good month IMO before adding anything else to the tank.
That's what I'm doing
__________________
Fishlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishlover13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
Please get the new tank healthy before you add anything to it. Sounds like a rough time. Sorry.
I am working I am not adding any thing for about a month or two
__________________
Fishlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,090
So, what types of fish are you interested in? I think most shrimp need live plants, but you can look it up to be sure. A DG might eat smaller shrimp. You could have cories. Maybe threadfin rainbows, a clown pleco, kribensis? Just depends on what direction you want to go with. If you look at liveaquaria.com you can get some ideas by looking at their fish descriptions.
__________________
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Fishlover13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
So, what types of fish are you interested in? I think most shrimp need live plants, but you can look it up to be sure. A DG might eat smaller shrimp. You could have cories. Maybe threadfin rainbows, a clown pleco, kribensis? Just depends on what direction you want to go with. If you look at liveaquaria.com you can get some ideas by looking at their fish descriptions.
I was on live aquaria looking for plants I tink I am going to get cories and a few other fish and plants
__________________
Fishlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,090
Sounds like a good plan.
__________________

__________________
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.