Allergic to Brine Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently when I have been feeding my fish, I've gotten kinda an itchy nose and my eyes have turned red and itchy. I've never had an allergy problem before, with anything, so I thought maybe I was getting sick or something. Well, I thought more about it, because it only happens when I'm near the fish tank or after feeding them, and tried to think of what has been new. I started feeding Brine Shrimp a few weeks ago, and that seems to be the culprit (freeze dried). I've fed bloodworms (freeze dried) for about 2 years now with no problem, it just seems to be the brine shrimp. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to mess with live or frozen foods, but from what I've read, feeding these types of things is good for the fish. Is there any other freeze dried food that would be good for tropical fish (yoyo loaches, platyes, cories, barbs, danios) that ISN't brine shrimp? lol. They all love this stuff, so if I have to stop feeding it, I'd like to replace it with something.

I have the same problem with Blood Worms. I just have a pair of rubber gloves that I use and plop them in. I also try to avoid "sniffing" them. This usually works and Immediatley aftter I wash my hands as you should with ALL fish foods. Hopefully this method will work for you I don't know about replacing the nnutrition though sorry.
HTH

I've heard about that with bloodworms, but never brine shrimp.

I visited a guy's very clean fish room and had a whole asthma/coughing thing happen while I was there-I know it's not bloodworms, so coulda been the brine! He had just finished feeding it to his fish.....

I'd start by looking at the packaging. Iodine is usually the cause of allergic reaction to seafoods...if the brine shrimp are enriched, they may be enriched with Iodine.

Do you have a seafood allergy, specifically shellfish?

Nope, no other allergies ever. I love seafood :) I don't know about reading the packaging... I can't even hold the bottle of it now. I did the hand washing thing and everything, but I think it just gets in the air. I'm thinking about getting a biohazard type mask and only opening with a clean suit on :lol: It's really powdery, so it might just get in the air. It's the Big Als freeze dried brine shrimp. I'm too scared to look on the package for the ingredients, and too scared to try another brand because of how miserable this stuff has made me! I took some benedryl too, but it turns out, the active ingredient in benedryl (diphenhydramine) is the same as the active ingredient in over the counter sleep aids. So... I passed out for a good 3 hours this afternoon :)

i have no other allergies, but get the blood worms thing if i don't wash my hands immediately after handling them. i haven't tried brine shrimp...

The blood worms actually do it to me if I don't wash my hands, but the brine shrimp kill me no matter what it seems, even getting near an unopened bottle

I have allergies/asthma. I've never used brine shrimp, but I use the Hikari brand of freeze-dried bloodworms, and they've never bothered me or given me breathing problems. The Hikari line says that they use a pharmaceutical-grade process of freeze-drying, and there are no allergy warnings on the label like I've seen on other brands of freeze-dried foods.

I don't touch the bloodworms (or any fish food). I soak the food to prevent bloat in the fish. I get a bit of tank water in a plastic cup and soak the bloodworms for about 30 seconds. I use a plastic spoon to feed. My fish learn what that plastic spoon means very quickly! I feed two bettas this way, and it's easy. For a community tank, you could soak the bloodworms and then just pour the cup into the tank.

Well, I don't have a problem with the bloodworms. And now I can't get near the brine shrimp, so I'm going to just not use them at all. I can't get near the closed bottle, like I said :( I think it's just those for some reason... I may try the hikari brand of them though if I get up enough courage to battle this agian. lol

Pansy's :D I find it quite probable that people can be allergic to such things. I use Hikari Bloodworms cause i never have to touch them, if i did actually handle them then every time my skin would break out.

I have allerge with my self grinded very fine fry food, which consists flakes, bloodworm, brine shrimp, tubifex worms. If I smell it or breath close to it, I have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom