Alli. . . need some help. . . again :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr502go

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know I probably shouldn't have, but I changed the cartridge in my penguin, the water kept overflowing in the spill way where the inlet tube was coming out. I've had the Bio-wheel running the whole time, sooo, I'm hoping that's got enough budding beneficial bacteria on it to work right. It was just overflowing tooo much, I think it must have been a defective cartridge or something, flows much better now, but am concerned about bacteria.

LOL jeez; I go to a wedding and all hell breaks lose ;)

Its quite possible the cartridge wasn't defective, but was clogged up. Next time try rinsing it in tank water (like the stuff you take out in a water change). It'll help clear it, leave the bacteria alive and well, and save a couple bucks on buying one for each filter media change *grin*

In the meantime, keep a close eye on your water parameters. I'm unsure if the tank bacterial colonies have matured enough; you may in for a round of water changes. Hopefully the bio-wheel is colonised enough to deal with it.

And once that wheel IS colonised? You can change the filters as much as you want; I have yet to notice any ammonia/nitrite spikes after completely changing media (although I check every time just in case). I don't change it everytime tho; I'm cheap (but I'm not easy!) and I see no reason to buy those expensive proprietory cartridges every 2-4 weeks. One of these days I'll find sponge filter media big enough for the Emperor 400 that I run on the 55g, and I'll never change media again (least, not for ages); just rinse it out when needed.

Kewl good, advice, I'll check and see what my params are again when I get home tonight.

when you add bio-spira, are you supposed to put it directly in the tank water, or in filter??

Doesn't say. I like to put it into the filter just cause its gonna wind up there for the most part anyway, but thats a personal preference and I don't know if it really makes a difference.

I poured the Bio Spira directly into my filter. Actually, I poured a fair amount of it directly onto my Bio Wheel. If figure that is where I want most of my bacterial colonies to reside so that is where I placed them. Seems logical but not sure if it really makes a difference in the end. :?

Back
Top Bottom