Almost microscopic hoppy things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just did another water change on my shrimp tank (the one I've been having ongoing deaths of what appear to be perfectly healthy shrimp) and this time, when I inspected the contents of the white bucket I siphon into (checking for baby shrimp) I saw some creatures I've never seen before. I figure they have to be either a) teeny weeny baby shrimp, or b) parasites that are responsible for the recent deaths.

They are SO tiny, that at first I couldn't see them- I just detected a rapid darting movement. They move so fast I'm not sure if they are even 'hopping' in the water. I noticed one that was larger than the others, but even with magnifying glasses I couldn't really describe them to you. I took a video of them, but they are just so small, they are hard for me to spot amongst the debris.

So I'm faced with two options- tip them back in the tank in case they're shrimp, or blitz the tank in case they're parasites.

Has anyone got a clue what these might be (even just a vague idea that will point me in the direction of further research? Thanks!

They are called ostracos and are harmless, however, they can easily infest a tank. I had a 15g tank that got overrun by them and ended up redoing it. :-(
'They' say that fish will eat them, but mine didn't. I hope you can find an answer!

Ostracod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you!
I recently purchased some java moss- they must have come with that. It's a relief to know they are not parasites, but darn! It was a lot of java moss and I distributed it amongst 5 tanks! Aargh :-(

As for my fish eating them- I'd probably have to starve them for a week to make them want to bother chasing down such minute morsels!

Back
Top Bottom