almost ready on the 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've been posting different things on this for a while, reading a lot, and I think I have the beginnings of a stock list coming together for a 150g aquarium I am setting up.

1 black ghost knife
2-3 honey gouramis
1 angelfish
2 blood red parrots
15 bloodfin or blackskirt tetras

Still working on my catfish. I have done a lot of reading on these guys as well as spent several hours at the lfs talking to several experienced aquarists who said they.thought this was a decent setup. And criticism? I'd like to.do some clown loaches also but need a bit more info on those guys.

Just out of curiosity why only one angel fish ?? Are you going to go with gravel or sand ? clown loaches like the sand to dig around in & like to be in groups of 3 or more. As far as the catfish, lve got 3 pictus that are really fun to watch lol they are almost hyperactive. Enough to where they slightly irritate the other bottom feeders but the black knife should be pretty docile with them. Keep us posted. Sounds like a nice tank !!

Personally, I love my clown loach. He's got so much energy, great colors, eats like a pig and has more personality thank any of my other fish. You can get them to eat out of your hand as they get more comfortable with you and with that big of a tank they'd have plenty of room. I'm still new at the whole fish keeping hobby but my clown is my favorite so far.

You should look at glass knifefish. Live aquaria says 100 minimum and ive always wished I could get one.

Zimmanski said:
Personally, I love my clown loach. He's got so much energy, great colors, eats like a pig and has more personality thank any of my other fish. You can get them to eat out of your hand as they get more comfortable with you and with that big of a tank they'd have plenty of room. I'm still new at the whole fish keeping hobby but my clown is my favorite so far.

Does your clown loach seem happy by himself ?

I know they say you should have at least three, but mine seems supper happy and pumped all the time. He's eating a ton, like I said, and he's not even the least bit shy or timid. He always comes up and checks out my hand and gravel vac during water changes.

Zimmanski said:
I know they say you should have at least three, but mine seems supper happy and pumped all the time. He's eating a ton, like I said, and he's not even the least bit shy or timid. He always comes up and checks out my hand and gravel vac during water changes.

Haha !! Thats cool !! They are very personable fish

Glad I haven't seen any objections yet... Well the reason for 1 angel is mostly aggression issues I've heard of from several people who have had angels wipe out their whole tank. One person actually said they watched their angel grab a cory swim to the top of his tank and the body slam him into the ground! I know that there are some who have also had successful groups of angels also so we will see how things work out. I know there are other neat knife fish but I have only ever seen the black ghost knife available in my area.

Pipedreamer86 said:
Glad I haven't seen any objections yet... Well the reason for 1 angel is mostly aggression issues I've heard of from several people who have had angels wipe out their whole tank. One person actually said they watched their angel grab a cory swim to the top of his tank and the body slam him into the ground! I know that there are some who have also had successful groups of angels also so we will see how things work out. I know there are other neat knife fish but I have only ever seen the black ghost knife available in my area.

You could order it online. I've begun to order online more because of the huge assortment of new fish I can get that aren't available locally.

tarpon said:
You could order it online. I've begun to order online more because of the huge assortment of new fish I can get that aren't available locally.

Yes! Ive had great service & fish from petsolutions.com if you want to order some live fish and plants online. They have a great selection and prices in my opinion. And l have had my lfs order from their supplier with one or two they didn't have in stock.

Last edited:
Angels are great too. The two I have are beautiful. You just have to read up on how to ease their aggression but generally they're peaceful fish. I have two and the larger one was picking on the smaller one I added so I separated them until they get closer in size, they are territorial so a good thing to do when adding other angels or other fish is remove the 1 angel, completely rearrange your tank so it's territories look tottally different then add the new fish and angel back. They are really great fish and once you have one, you want 100

Back
Top Bottom