Alternate fishes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really enjoy watching algae eating fish, particularly the sucker mouthed types. I've had a CAE pair for about a year now, and after reading so many horror stories about them, i'm ready to trade then in. I was thinking about getting oto fish instead, as I respect 30g might not be big enough for a pleco as it matures, and I have room to accommodate a small school of oto's in the bioload. My question is this-my tap is hard and alkaline(8.4 and ~18dh), and I don't use chemicals to reduce it. Will otos adjust to this and thrive, or would I be putting them to their death.

On a side note, I've ran across a platy with scales protruding slightly in one part of his side. Healed him up and a month later a female molly has a scale doing the same. Is it safe to blame the CAE, as I can find no other reason and an doing the old salt bath.

I really enjoy watching algae eating fish, particularly the sucker mouthed types. I've had a CAE pair for about a year now, and after reading so many horror stories about them, i'm ready to trade then in. I was thinking about getting oto fish instead, as I respect 30g might not be big enough for a pleco as it matures, and I have room to accommodate a small school of oto's in the bioload. My question is this-my tap is hard and alkaline(8.4 and ~18dh), and I don't use chemicals to reduce it. Will otos adjust to this and thrive, or would I be putting them to their death.

On a side note, I've ran across a platy with scales protruding slightly in one part of his side. Healed him up and a month later a female molly has a scale doing the same. Is it safe to blame the CAE, as I can find no other reason and an doing the old salt bath.

You could get a Bristlenose Pleco for your 30 gallon. They only get a few inches and are quite cute and lively. Otto's would be a good choice as well :)

ccross said:
You could get a Bristlenose Pleco for your 30 gallon. They only get a few inches and are quite cute and lively. Otto's would be a good choice as well :)

I agree! BN plecos are the best! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not super keen on bn plecos...will they last in water as basic and hard as mine?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not super keen on bn plecos...will they last in water as basic and hard as mine?

I have super hard water and it doesnt seem to bother my BN. I think as long as it stays the same with no fluctuation they are fine.

All 5 of mine are rather hardy. ;)
Had them for about a year no problems whatsoever. Just be careful with salt they can't handle much.

Clown plecos are another small species, but they feed off of driftwood, so you may not seem them all the time, but the colors are awesome on them!

View attachment 92650

P.s. I had just removed him from his bag to place in the tank, I don't actually hold my fish lol

Freakgecko91 said:
Clown plecos are another small species, but they feed off of driftwood, so you may not seem them all the time, but the colors are awesome on them!

P.s. I had just removed him from his bag to place in the tank, I don't actually hold my fish lol

Too Cute!
BN plecos are also wood munchers. Make sure to have a piece in there for a happy pleco!

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any driftwood and lfs wants a bit too much, 25 for a 8" piece. I've read not all wood works, where could I hunt some? Will wood submerged in a river work? We have plenty of rivers here in ok

I'm always a bit leery when taking anything out of the wild, including decor. Parasites love to hitch a ride into your tank ;) as for the price, that about normal, I paid $70 for my 2 ft piece!
Also, certain woods are toxic, like pine and cedar, and it may be difficult to identify what type of wood your particular outside piece is

Freakgecko91 said:
I'm always a bit leery when taking anything out of the wild, including decor. Parasites love to hitch a ride into your tank ;) as for the price, that about normal, I paid $70 for my 2 ft piece!
Also, certain woods are toxic, like pine and cedar, and it may be difficult to identify what type of wood your particular outside piece is

Fair enough. My dad is part stone mason, part lumberjack, part carpenter lol, so I can get him to identify the wood if I can't. What types are good? I'm sure I'd boil it, but not use bleach/vinegar like I do for my rocks for obvious reasons lol

As far as ottos I got one a while ago to combat algae before I knew they like schools and it has Done great. He's pretty healthy and get's plenty of algae and does fine in my 8.4ph tap water. My understanding is that it's better to keep it stable than to cater to the needs of a fish and I think as long as there's enough algae In the tank you'd be fine.

Maxkolbe said:
As far as ottos I got one a while ago to combat algae before I knew they like schools and it has Done great. He's pretty healthy and get's plenty of algae and does fine in my 8.4ph tap water. My understanding is that it's better to keep it stable than to cater to the needs of a fish and I think as long as there's enough algae In the tank you'd be fine.

Good to know, I ask because on three separate occasions, I've tried keeping neon tetras, and on three separate occasions, they have made me regret it lol. I'm extremely leery of keeping a fish that likes slightly acidic water.

I have apistogrammas, Bolivian rams, and dicrossus cichlids all living in water currently at 8.2 pH with no problems, like said before, it's consistency that is key. Most fish you buy now a days anyway are more adjusted and adapted to living in higher (or lower) pH ranges than their wild counterparts

Freakgecko91 said:
I have apistogrammas, Bolivian rams, and dicrossus cichlids all living in water currently at 8.2 pH with no problems, like said before, it's consistency that is key. Most fish you buy now a days anyway are more adjusted and adapted to living in higher (or lower) pH ranges than their wild counterparts

Admittedly, that is a fair point...i have a DG in a 10g with guppy males and molly males and I've never seen a fish look so carefree

An alternative to otos is pitbull plecos. they don't get much bigger than otos, like company as otos do, and are hardier IME. Otos can be pretty hit or miss. Since they are nearly all wild caught, they don't always adjust well to tank life no matter what the pH. In general, as long as your pH is consistent, I would think they could be ok in your tank. But, I still recommend the pitties first. ;)

Back
Top Bottom