Alternative feeding methods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmallyBiggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm concerned that one or two of my fish may not be getting enough to eat. It seems the other fish in the tank eat all of the food before they can get any, as these two fish seem to be sort of shy and not as assertive.

I have seen grazing blocks and slow release feeders. I know they are typically meant to be used when you plan to be away for a period of time, but I wondered if this would be an effective way to allow the fish to graze at their own pace.

I've also heard of target feeding, but I don't much about what it is or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have 3 tiger barbs, a siamese algae eater, an emerald cory catfish, and a gold gourami. I also have an opaline gourami and an african featherfin leaf fish, which are the two I'm concerned about.

What are you currently feeding them? As long as theyre getting a little bit theyre probably fine. Fish can go a week or so with no food and survive, so a little goes a long way. I dont think a fish will allow itself to starve to death because its shy... if it did I would suspect that it had an illness and that its reclusive behavior was just a symptom.

Those time release vacation feeders dont seem to be very popular on these boards. Ive read a lot of complaints about them fouling up the water.

Once a week I press a Tubiflex Worm cube up against the side of the tank and let the fish tear into it. This usually creates a mess of floating worms, so everybody gets some. Maybe give that a try.

Ive never tried target feeding, but the kind of fish youre having the issue with might factor in to the technique used ( ie bottom feeder vs top feeder).

Also, it may be worth noting that that opaline gourami happens to be the largest fish in the tank, at about 5 inches. Also, there's isn't any bullying or anyrhing going on, they just seem too timid to compete for any food.

The tufex worms are a good idea and also the fact that if they get alittle they will be fine. If they weren't getting anything they would be declining in health. Those little block feeders are aweful in my opinion. I used them once when I was home before a vacation years ago to see if they were doable but found they did indeed mess with my water quality. Target feeding can be tricky as it can often scare the fish until they get used to it and if you target feed those fish you have to feed the other fish at the same time so the other fish don't just rush in for the food your targeting with.

Thank you for that info. I hadn't considered it could be what I'm feeding them, especially because it did recently change. I was making my own gel food, with some pellets, shrimp, and other stuff, which they did seem to enjoy. But now I just feed a combination of the "tetramin tropical crips" and algae wafers

yeah.. my fish always turn there noses up the first few days I introduce a new food. I just dont offer them anything else until they accept it. When they get hungry enough they'll eat. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom