Alternative to pebbles !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunilgeorge1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 4ft. tank with 11 fancy goldfish. I currently have black pebbles at the bottom. They look nice but unfortunately it is a pain when using the water siphon.

Do u guys have any idea as to what would be a better alternative to the pebbles ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sunil

Pool filter sand or play sand, just wash it out before you put it in, adding it while its occupied would be difficult.

When you say you have pebbles in your tank, what size pebbles are you talking about? Depending on their actual size, it may be possible to make them less of a pain by changing your siphon system instead. What type of siphon are you using? Is it a gravel cleaning siphon (a larger rigid piece of tube attached to a smaller diameter flexible length), or just a plain bit of flexible tubing?

If it is the appearance of the pebbles that also bothers you, then you might consider a bare bottom tank. I personally prefer a dark brown gravel (average size is 1/4 inch) but many folks like a bare-bottom tank. I do this in my "non-display tanks" (in other words, the tanks that are not in my living room) and find them much easier to keep clean. I glue plastic plants to the bottom with aquarium silicone to give the fish hiding places, but I have seen others "plant" them in terra cotta pots to improve the look.

Back
Top Bottom