Alternative to Tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!
I was wondering if any one knew of an alternative to tiger barbs ? I would love to have some in my new 55g, but their attitude bothers me, as I would like to have some african dwarf frogs and maybe a few salamanders.. Is there another fish that has the same kind of look without the bite ?
Thanks!

5 banded barbs look very similar and don't have the bad rep of tigers barbs. Even though I believe that the tiger barbs bad rep is false as long as you have a large shoal of them.

Thanks!
And I didn't think about the frogs but you are absolutely right.. Darnit! I'm still in the planning stages.. (Guess I'll have to set up another tank because I really like those little guys)
Oh we'll back to the drawing board I guess!
Thanks for the info!!

As far as the same kind of look the five banded barb is the only one. However if you are looking for a small school that will interact with each other like tiger barbs you might want to check into harlequin rasboras. I have a school of 30 in my tank and they school very well and very tight but are not nippy like the tigers. Just a thought. Good luck,

You could try danios or tetras but those don't really look like tiger barbs. They are great in schools and community tanks though!

+1 on five-banded/pentazona barbs, they have tons of personality too but are quite peaceful. Black ruby barbs and checker barbs are other good options, and if you can find them snakeskin barbs could work although I've heard they can sometimes be nippy too.

I like black skirts myself...I used to work a lot with tiger barbs but they were way to vicious for my liking. When I switched to the BST, I love them so dearly!

Cherry barbs are great. I have 3 males and 3 females and they are awesome to watch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow!!
I love the five banded and black ruby barb as well as the black skirt tetra!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!
Now I just have to choose that might be hard!
Thank you all so much!
Very helpfull!!!!

Check out odessa barbs. I have some and love them. Theyre so shiny and bright! Mine are in with long finned danios and shrimp. As long as you have 5 - 10 they aren't so nippy. I'm actually upgrading their tank and getting more.

Back
Top Bottom