Am I cleaning too much? Feeding too little?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishNewbee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 55gal set up for about two weeks now. I transferred everything over (gravel, filter, fish, decors, etc.) and my tank doesn't seem like it's going to cycle again, thank God! But since I've only been at this hobby for about 8 months, I was wondering two things. One, I do a 10 to 20% water change religiously every week, and I gravel vac at least half, if not all of the tank every week with the water change. I don't change the filters at the same time, but rather will skip a water change the week I replace a filter, usually every 6 weeks or so. When I do the water changes the water looks pretty dirty, although my tank is always very clear. I have a Penquin 150 Biowheel as well as the standard 60g dual filter that came with the tank and I run both on it at all times. I'm wondering if I might be doing too much cleaning to my tank? So far, it hasn't caused any spontaneous cycling, but if that's a possibility, I'd like to know beforehand! LFS employees told me that when I upgraded to the 55g I would only need to do wc's every couple of weeks or so, but even weekly, the water I take out is pretty dirty so I can't imagine going longer.

Second, I was a notorious over-feeder (I'm a nurturer!!) for awhile and actually killed some fish and it took me over a year to get a little 5 gal tank to finish cycling! So, I feed very sparingly now. However, everything you read says to feed two to three times daily, or as much as they'll consume in five minutes. Mine would never quit eating if I did that! I used to feed morning and night, but now I only feed at night, just as much as they'll eat in a minute or so. Every three days or so, I'll drop an algae wafer or some peas or zucchini in the tank for the catfish and cichlids. An example would be the frozen cubes of brine shrimp. I will thaw it and feed half of one of those one night, and finish the cube the next night. Is that enough or should I feed more often? I should mention, tank inhabitants are 2 jewel cichlids, 6 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 raphael catfish, oh, and 2 mystery snails!

Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom