Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ammonia spiked to 4 deceases to 1 in less than 24hours.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

Today would be 2 weeks of cycling my 55 gallon.

You're not cycled. You're going to need that ammonia to drop to 0 in 24 hours.

Typically, tanks take 4-6 weeks to cycle.

Hi Missie! You are not there yet! Did you use any established media when you started up this tank? Have you checked your tap water for the presence of amm/nitrite/nitrate? Your nitrate reading may be misleading if your tap contains nitrates. It sounds like your still in the ammonia phase but some more info will help to better figure this out! :)

I knew I was missing something. I havent seen any nitrites at all yet! I was suprised to see the ammonia dropping so quickly even though it was heavily seeded. My 20 gallon that I cylced several months ago...took 3 months! thanks for the info...

Checking tap water now, thanks!

I knew I was missing something. I havent seen any nitrites at all yet! I was suprised to see the ammonia dropping so quickly even though it was heavily seeded. My 20 gallon that I cylced several months ago...took 3 months! thanks for the info...

Checking tap water now, thanks!

So, you used established media to help cycle this tank? If so, you may not see nitrites at all but your still not cycled because your ammonia is not dropping to zero in 24hrs. Continue to dose amm daily to 4ppm when you see it drop. Keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom