am i doing this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanling22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been running just a 10gal. freshwater tank for the past maybe month and a half and have only been doing a 10% change weekly with water that I'm treating with the dechlorinator (1/10 tsp) and conditioner (1/5 tsp). I have recently read that some owners also do a 50% change monthly along with vacuuming their gravel and scrubbing out the tank. Most of these owners, however, talk about doing this with their much greater sized tanks. So my question is, for me with my smaller tank should i be doing these monthly water changings/cleanings? :confused:

Thanks for yalls help

I have 3 tanks set up right now (55g, 10g, 5g) I do 50% weekly water changes on all of them. Check the filters for cleaning. And scrape the glass if it needs it. You know your tank best if you think it needs to be done, do it.

Changing the Tank Water

Hello dyl...

A 10 gallon tank should have half the water changed every 2 or 3 days. Fish wastes can build to toxic levels in a small tank in a few hours. Larger tanks can go longer between 50 percent water changes because there's more water to dilute the fish wastes.

It's not necessary to tear the tank apart to clean it, but taking time to vacuum the bottom material in your small tank will keep it cleaner and safer for your fish.

I would consider getting a larger tank. 20 to 30 gallons will increase your chances of success in the "water keeping" hobby.

B

Back
Top Bottom