Am I going to be overstocked now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On the (great!) advice of forum members, I've changed the stock of my heavily planted 10g. I know have (or will have) the following:

- 8 cardinal tetras (currently have 5)
- 3 small nerite snails & a bunch of other tiny snails in the substrate
- 4 amano shrimp
- 3 otos (currently have 1 oto happily fattening up)
- 1 betta
- 5 pygmy cory cats

Is this a supportable plan? I feed on the regular and do 25% weekly changes and my nitrite/ammonia/nitrates are all 0 always. Here's my tank!

I would skip the otos, the require biofilm to live off of and a lot of it, so just let the one you have now feed. Skip the beta also as thier temp is a hit or miss and with the cardinals and Pygmy cories I wouldn't.

Personally I dont feel comfortable putting cardinals in a 10g as they get 2in or bigger. I Perfer neons, but since you already have a cardinals, I would just found out the stock to a school of 6 and call it done. They can also stress the beta with all the rapid moment but if you find a well tempred one it should be fine.

Pygmy cories are a bit of a mystery to me as I've never had them

Thanks! All the fish are already in there. The betta is very calm and unfazed but I might move him to my 5g. I wouldn't have chosen the cardinals but they came with the tank.

I'm growing algae for my oto and feeding him zucchini and india almond leaves, and now he even eats algae tabs. Do you think I could support two at least?

You could always keep a tub of water near a window with rocks in it to grow algae and then swap them so they have plenty to graze on

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am growing some algae rocks under a 24 hour light! Thanks!

Thats way too much. I would knock off the betta and the corys since you already have an oto. If you do overstock you should do 50% weekly to combat the extra waste

Too many fish. You could start plugging in the details on Aqadvisor for a good starting point. Otocinclus really need a 30 gallon minimum.

Back
Top Bottom