Am I killing my good bacteria everytime I do a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still sitting at very high ammonia with no nitrites or nitrates after 4 weeks.

I purchased a water changing tube that connects to your sink faucet a while back to simplify water changes. In order to make the water safe for the tank, what I usually do is after emptying the water out I add the amount of water conditioner that I need (36 gallon tank, 50% PWC = put in conditioner for 18 gallons) to the water that is left in the tank, and then fill the tank up with the tap water.

Is it possible that as a result, the cholorine that has not cycled around in the tank and mixed in with the water conditioner is killing my good bacteria and making me start over every time I do a PWC?

Add for tank volume. Can you tell us about the history and details of your tank?

It is a 36 gallon freshwater tank. I purchased the fish before I knew about cycling. They are 2 Groumais, 2 female guppies, 1 platy (other one died), 4 neon tetras.

The tank has many live plants in that are doing well. Cabombas and Moneyworts.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "add for tank volume?"

You need to add the amount of dechlor for 36 gallons rather than for 18 gallons... you're treating 36 gallons, even if you're only putting 18 gallons in.

I think he means add enough conditioner for the entire tank, not just the amount you've taken out. But what I wanted to ask is what do you mean by "high ammonia"? Also, what are you using to test your water? Those test strips can be inaccurate. Finally, how often are you performing water changes? This info will help us help you.

Ah! Well that would be one part where I'm going wrong. I have corrected this now for the water change I just did.

I have also gotten desparate and started using Seachem Stability after doing a lot of reading on people having good luck with the product. I am on the third day of the seven day cycle with it. Has anyone else here had good luck with it helping establish your bio filter?

OhNeil:

High ammonia means it's over 2.0. I am using test strips to test the water, I will go and purchase the master test kit tomorrow. I am performing the water changes every other day.

OhNeil:

High ammonia means it's over 2.0. I am using test strips to test the water, I will go and purchase the master test kit tomorrow. I am performing the water changes every other day.

I'd recommend doing daily changes with ammonia that high, especially until you get your master test kit. I've found that the strips will give false readings on the low side. That's to say they will say 2.0 ppm when it's actually higher.

Sorry, I'm not being very clear in my responses (I have a million things going on at the same time :) )

I am using a test kit with a test tube to test the ammonia. Strips to test everything else (nitrite, nitrate etc)

Sorry, I'm not being very clear in my responses (I have a million things going on at the same time :) )

I am using a test kit with a test tube to test the ammonia. Strips to test everything else (nitrite, nitrate etc)

That's OK. You'll still need to perform more water changes to get that ammonia down though.

I also recommend you Dave to shut off your filter when you are adding the tap water back to the tank, in this way, no chlorine goes to your cartridge or media, even when the Prime acts immediately. 5 minutes after you finished your PWC you can re start the filter.

I also recommend you Dave to shut off your filter when you are adding the tap water back to the tank, in this way, no chlorine goes to your cartridge or media, even when the Prime acts immediately. 5 minutes after you finished your PWC you can re start the filter.

Excellent advice. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom