Am I medicating correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just want to make sure I’m medicating my tank correctly. Furan-2 says to use one packet for each 10 gallons and kanaplex says to use 1 scoop for every 5 gallons. My tank is a 29 gallon so round off 30 gallons so I used 3 packets of furan-2 and 6 scoops of kanaplex the first day, 3 more furan-2 packets on day 2, and on day 3 (today) as per the directions on furan-2, I did a 25% water change and then I used the last 3 1/2 packets of furan-2 (I spilled about half of one of the packets on the floor) and 6 more scoops of kanaplex. Tomorrow (day4) I’m going to do another 25% water change as that’s what the furan-2 directions say and then add the last 6 scoops of kanaplex and either the next day or day after that do another 25% water change and add Purigen back into my filter to remove the rest of the medications and to clear the discoloration from the furan-2. Is all this correct?

Sounds right ..
Keep up on water changes even though adding back purigen.
How do the fish look?

When doing water changes do I have to gravel vac EVERYWHERE in the tank or just where there are no plants (fake) and decor

When medicating, you want to be as exact as you can so that you don't over medicate or under medicate. A 29 gal tank fully empty does not hold 29 gals of water so rounding off to 30 gals is not really a good thing. It's best to measure out 10 gals of water in a tank ( this is where a hospital tank comes into play) then medicate for the 10 gals. ( you can also split the pack for 5 gals of water if you can more accurately measure the contents of the packet then divide in half. )
Another hint, if you have the occasion at some point to empty the tank of water, after decorated, measure the water you put back in and mark the tank with tape or a marker so you know where 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 gals of water are. That way, if you have to medicate in your main tank ( a process I am not fond of :whistle: ) you will know exactly how much water you have or can adjust the water level to the level that fits what medication(s) you are using. Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom